Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Will PSA ever change the look of the holder?

I recently renewed my prescription...er, subscription to PSA and I was perusing the various brochures that accompanied my renewal package. I noticed that every single card shown in a holder was pictured with a black background. Clearly, PSA realizes that their cards present better with a dark background. Would they ever change their holders to look that way, ala SGC?
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I hope not. The extra black piece in the GAI and SGC holders have been known to trap thinner cards and cause damage.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    13 years in business and still no kelloggs,topps stickers, topps mini leader and i am sure various other sizes holders! i would be happy if they just fixed the mylar thing!you would think by now they would at least have a kelloggs holder? or some insert that they can make a custom fit holder for the various sized cards/stickers?i will say i like the frosted borders better than the black.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Wow Koby,
    I hadn't heard that. That's a scarty thought, the holder damaging the card...
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow Koby,
    I hadn't heard that. That's a scarty thought, the holder damaging the card... >>

I just remember one guy's account from a while ago:

http://cubanbaseballcards.com/GAI.html

No thank you.

One of the main reasons I grade my cards is to protect them. That purpose is defeated when the holder itself damages that card. I will stick with the clear holders any day of the week.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The gasket problems on the GAI holders was fixed, eventually. A matter of the sealing machine not pushing down tight enough. FWIW I've got a few PSA holders that the card slipped past the limit as well- a little scary since it never does it with a cheap common, but I've yet to see any damage.
    I'll bet the next change to PSA holders will be a decimal point on the grade.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Koby is right about the damage caused by the black piece, but as Griffins mentioned, GAI seems to have fixed it on their holders. Still, the longer you go, if you are PSA, the more controversy you will stir up if you make any changes - black background, different flip, or dare I say it: half grades image I hope things remain the same - for a good long time.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Yeah, If it ain't broke ........

Good thinking image
  • Options
    I think the above card by murcerfan is a prime example of why the holders SHOULD be changed. That same card, if in an SGC holder would have the black molded cardboard (or whatever material it is) surrounding it, to keep it STRAIGHT, and not sliding around inside that loose plastic, as the PSA holder. It also LOOKS nicer too, with the black contrast. If the card or other item is ULTRA THIN, and liable to slide UNDER that mould, then that's another matter, and those items may HAVE to have the surrounding plastic seal.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I would like to see a holder with more depth for the gamed used inserts. I have a PSA slab with one of these thicker inserts and it has stress cracks, near the corners of the card, from the pressure.
  • Options
    the beckett slabs are way better than psa imo...but who am i?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Just curious, but why do you think the Beckett slabs are better? The only other slab I like is the GAI slab with the card info on the top spine of the holder - makes it easy to find cards filed in boxes.