Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Wrestling Cards

Just wondering if anyone collects Wrestling cards?

I like collecting 1985 Topps and OPC, 1989 Wonderama, and the 1983 "All Star Wrestling" sets.

Comments

• ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I am currently working on a graded 1985 & 1987 Topps WWF set. You can check out some pictures of my sets on the SGC set registry. I love the 80's wrestling cards.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • very nice...I came across a 1985 Topps Jesse Ventura PSA 10 abour 2 years ago on ebay...got snipped tho ...I have never seen one again image
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love those four sets and have a ton of sets and singles available. Are you working on sets or needing any cards? I have even submitted some for PSA grading and am always looking for neat wrestling cards. Let's trade or buy/sell. Let me now what you are looking for...
    reach me at gregmo32@aol.com
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

• << <i>I absolutely love those four sets and have a ton of sets and singles available. Are you working on sets or needing any cards? I have even submitted some for PSA grading and am always looking for neat wrestling cards. Let's trade or buy/sell. Let me now what you are looking for...
    reach me at gregmo32@aol.com >>

Right now I am trying to locate some unopened 1989 Wonderama material. I have a waxbox of 1985 OPC 2nd series if you are interested in trade?
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any unopened Wonderama left. I opened a ton of these before I found out that there were some cards only issued in the complete set form and consequently I would never get them no matter how many packs I bought. Do you have a complete set of these already?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that this "wrestling" thread is on the non-sports board.image

I've never collected wrestling, but I have kept my eye out for wrestling items from the old Olympic Auditorium days in L.A., circa 1960, when Edouard Carpentier was champ; Tricky Ricky Starr and Gene LaBell, the Destroyer and "Classy" Freddie Blassie, Mr. Moto and Haystack Calhoun, Dick Lane shouting "Whooaaa Nellie!"
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mark
    It's time for the old timer's Hall of Fame! Remember:

Bruno Sammartino?

And Killer Kowalski?

I was a fan of the wrestlers from the late 50's and early 60's!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Growing up in Illinois in the mid-60's, the key wrestlers were Verne Gagne, Dick the Bruiser (who tag teamed with the Crusher), Baron Von Raschke (sp?), Nick Bockwinkle, and Mad Dog Vachon.

I can remember my grandmother almost popping a vein yelling at the tv screen telling the ref to watch out for cheating image.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bruno Samartino
    Good for you.
    Mike - whaddaya kidding? Samartino, Kowalski...how about Hard boiled Haggerty? Mike Torres? Lou Thesz?

Keith - I used to get wrestling magazines that showed the bloodiest matches in Chicago - did they televise those things? Compared to what we had on local TV here, those Chicago photos were horrendous!

Wasn't it Kowalski that perfected the dreaded "sleeper" hold?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Mark - I know the magazines you were talking about. The TV matches never had that much blood. The bloody matches were at the matches you had to go to to see.

There was only a slight trickle at the most on TV. But from the scars on Dick the Bruisers head, Im guessing some of the cuts and blood pictures were real (at least real, probably self-inflicted, cuts).

And the sleeper hold was the key hold of Verne Gagne in Illinois. Whether or not he originated it, I dont know.
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Guys, here is the classic set for all us old wrestling fans. The 1955 Parkhurst Set has 121 of the old legends. Including....#28 "Goon Henry" - love the name and pose, #43 Verne Gagne, #54 Argentina Rocca, #72 Prince Maiava - "The Rock's" Grandfather, #76 Lou Thesz - I'm not sure what he's holding in this pose, #95 Gorgeous George, #97 Bronko Nagurski - yes, the FB great and #119 Buddy Rogers.

I got this set in a Mastro auction 5 years ago.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
    Mark
    Ed the "Strangler" Lewis invented the sleeper hold. Killer Kowalski had the biggest hands I ever saw and had the famous "stomach claw" as his finishing move.

Also, I believe Bruno spelled his name with two m's.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Haystack Calhoun
    ·p_A·
    Mantle
    Absolutely cool set...watched some of those guys wrestle as a kid. Is there an Argentino Apollo in the set? I'm thinking he wrestled in his bare feet and had some really cool moves.

Thanx
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike

<< <i>Haystack Calhoun >>

Perry
    He was a great draw...they say he went 600 lbs but I'm not sure about that. Saw him many times as a kid on TV.

Wrestling had the same MO even back then - good gets beat up two bad guys...so in comes good guy #2 to save the day!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
    I remember Gene LaBell wrestled in bare feet; he had all these cool "judo" moves that had somehow been incorporated into his wrestling bag.

Mantle - outstanding set of cards. I want them. Do you need my address?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

Stone....Argentina Apollo was a junior version of Rocca. Same bare feet and drop kicks. No he's not in the set.

Mark...Sure, make the check out to mantlefan and leave the amount blank [leave room for plenty of zeroes].image
    Frank

Yeah i think i heard Haystack was pushing 625 at his heaviest.. I think he was probably already done wrestling by the time i started watching it in the 80s.. i saw Haystack at a local Famous Amos restaurant one time though.. what a huge SOB..

I think Sammartino once lifted Haystack off the ground and slammed him.. which caused the ring to cave in under them.. heh..

When i started watching wrestling, my favorite rivalry was Nikita Koloff and Magnum T.A. .. and the Fabulous Freebirds.. the Von Erichs.. Rock & Roll Express, Midnight Express.. Barry & Kendall Windham & their dad "BlackJack" Mulligan.. heh.. great memories..
    ·p_A·
    I think they were great memories Perry
    Probably most kids go thru a phase where they watch wrestling - todays wrestling has more of an "in" feel to it with actors and actresses attending and stuff...that's not the kind of people I saw at Madison Square Garden as a kid. In the late 50's the event came out of Sunnyside Gardens in NJ I think?
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
    Sunnyside Gardens I believe was in Sunnyside Queens...just east of Manhattan.
    Frank

• Mike, Thats interesting about the sleeper hold and the stomach claw. They must have just passed those holds around region to region because the stomach claw was also the signature hold of Baron Von Raschke. But the wrestlers you mentioned, I believe, were older so they must have originated them.

Gotta love those trunks that came up over the wrestlers belly button.
    Mike - I sure do remember "the claw" - I used to use it on my brother (the bastid) till he screamed for help!

And, yes, thank god for those old high rise trunks - with a few exceptions, most of those old wrestlers were just flabby sunsabees, compared to the way today's wrestlers are cut.

Mark (amerbbcards)

• for those of us in chicago we had the pleasure of watching bob luce wrestling.this guy (luce) yelled & screamed as the bad guys usually attacked the "good"wrestler he was interviewing. remember the big cat ernie ladd,pompero firpo,ray"the crippler" stevens,moose cholak, brusier brody,and my favorite name "seaman" art thomas. luce was also the spokesman for ben's used cars, i think on western ave.

<< <i>Sunnyside Gardens I believe was in Sunnyside Queens...just east of Manhattan. >>

Thanx Frank
    I don't know why I thought it was in NJ?
    Every kid has to have their Hulk Hogan! In my case it was Bruno.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike

<< <i>Mike - I sure do remember "the claw" - I used to use it on my brother (the bastid) till he screamed for help!

And, yes, thank god for those old high rise trunks - with a few exceptions, most of those old wrestlers were just flabby sunsabees, compared to the way today's wrestlers are cut. >>

This is true Mark...just compare the "old" like Bruno with the "new" in a guy like Hogan - and Bruno was considered one of the fittest guys out there:

imageimage

And remember before when you mentioned the bloody scenes from the old wrestling days in mags - I remember going to the candy store just to look at all the pubs on the wall and of course pick up this months Superman issue!

Nothing but cool stuff! Unless you had a weak stomach of somethin.

thanx
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike

• << <i>I can remember my grandmother almost popping a vein yelling at the tv screen telling the ref to watch out for cheating >>

Yup..my grandmother too! image

My grandmother passed away about 7 years ago....she would not watch WWF etc....said it was all phony and fixed. But the stuff from the 50s & 60s..well that was real!...OK Grandma image

<< <i>Wasn't it Kowalski that perfected the dreaded "sleeper" hold? >>

I've always been under the impression that "Whipper" Billy Watson originated the sleeper..along with his famous "Whip".

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I can remember my grandmother almost popping a vein yelling at the tv screen telling the ref to watch out for cheating

lol those were the days!
    Good for you.
    ·p_A·
  • How about Chief Jay Strongbow or George The Animal Steele. They were 2 of my favorites.

I saw Walter Kowalski last week. He still runs a wrestling school here in Ma. (Doesn't like to be called Killer anymore). His hands are absolutely enormous.

My buddy has had Bruno Sammartino in his store twice signing autos. Each time after the show they went into the North End for Italian food. After, Bruno liked to walk thru the neighborhood. Before they got a block from the restaurant there was a mob around them. Bruno is like the pope leading the parade at the feast of St. Anthony.
    He is still adored in the Italian neighborhood of Boston. Great guy.

Just wanted to share, Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35