Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

A "red" Matte Proof Lincoln for Tim Liston . . .

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link-A-Dink

In an NGC PR66RED holder!

Doug

Comments

• OK Doug we've been down this road before, but now I'm REALLY annoyed. Whaddaya think? PR62RB at best? Maybe not even. Looks like someone sneezed on this one just before it was slabbed. But how do you sneeze on both sides of a coin? I know the folks at Northeast Numismatics know better than to ask the $'s they are for this coin, it must be consigned.

I think I'll go to the bank today and give my matte proof sets a big hug........

• That is disgusting!

Jack
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Tim, I'm glad you feel the same way I do about that 1913. My PCGS 1913 64RD is a "heckofalot" nicer. How could NGC slab it as a 66?

Doug, I assume you were joking about this coin, right?

Steve
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course! I knew it would send Tim straight up the wall!!!image
    Doug

• << <i>How could NGC slab it as a 66? >>

I'm sure they didn't slab it as a PR66RD, looking the way it does now. It has obviously "turned in the holder", as have countless NGC and PCGS "RD" copper coins.
  • Good thing it is more than "just a piece of plastic"!

Billy image
  • Mark -- Yes, clearly this coin turned in the holder. But what do you do with a coin like that? Put it on eBay (like it is now) but start it at a buck? I wonder what it would get bid up to? If it was in a PCGS holder I bet someone would buy it just for the holder. One of the nice things about my matte proof sets, 15 of the 18 coins (including all nine of Liston One) are in old PCGS holders. I'm not too concerned about them turning, that would have happened long ago.....

Doug -- We've had the "red-brown" vs. "colorfully toned red" debate in the past. This coin does not rehash that debate in any way. I am glad you posted the picture, if it weren't a bit tragic it would be amusing.

And you know what I say. There are 15 coins that improve #3 Liston One and 29 coins that improve #2 White Fang. But your set brings MUCH more at auction than mine would. Golly I hope they don't turn like that one did.....

Does anybody know who made the two recent 1909 VDB's in PR66RB? If my 65's weren't in old holders I'd send 'em in again....

• << <i>Mark -- Yes, clearly this coin turned in the holder. But what do you do with a coin like that? >>

Tim, I wouldn't buy such a coin, either for inventory, or on behalf of a client.

And, I think anyone who does, is looking for a bit of trouble (or at the very least criticism in offering it for sale). Any potential monetary profit is likely to be offset by the inevitable negative associations.

I would suggest that the current owner send it to NGC under their guarantee and see what happens. Even if NGC doesn't remedy the "situation" (if I were a major grading company I wouldn't want such coins floating around in my holders, guarantee or no guarantee) the owner would at least know he tried. If that failed, I'd consign it to a major auction and let it go.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's a recent holder, NGC doesn't guarantee color on copper.

• << <i>Unless it's a recent holder, NGC doesn't guarantee color on copper. >>

TDN, in theory, that is correct. Practically speaking, however, I would think they would want that coin off the market, and MIGHT be willing to do something about it, even if it doesn't fall under their "color" guarantee.

Also, it looks like more than just a "color" guarantee/problem at this point (see the print and streaks which affect the grade).image
  • Geez!! Does PCGS guarantee against changing in the slab???
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, it looks like more than just a "color" guarantee/problem at this point (see the print and streaks which affect the grade).

Well, I'd have to agree with you there! image
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, I knew this had nothing to do with the RB debate, but I also knew it would get you excited!

I think I have seen this coin offered before, but I can't remember where. I didn't mean it as disrespecting NGC, but whatever happened to it made it one of the most hideous coins on the market.
    Doug
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Doug
    I have to agree " most hideous coin on market".NGC should buy that one just to take it off the market.The proce is way out of wack IMHO.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns