Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I've Reached 100%!!!

It was a Merry X-mas indeed. I completed my registered 1969-70 Topps basketball today! I started about ten months ago with a raw set and no graded cards. I submitted about 15% to 20% of the cards in that set to PSA and bought the rest off of eBay with the exception of two cards that I picked up at the Tristar show this past spring (it was at that show I decided it would be something special to have the whole set graded). Of the ones I submitted, my best returns were the Bradley PSA 8 and the Robertson PSA 8. The most disappointing were two trimmed cards (Havlicek and Wilkens) and the Alcindor PSA 5 and Chamberlain PSA 5. When I was buying these raw, they were all advertised as near mint. That's life before professional grading ;-). Needless to say, I sold off the two PSA 5s to help purchase upgrades. And the trimmed ones got submitted to another grading service that shall remain nameless.

The cards I spent the most on were the Alcindor PSA 7 and the Checklist PSA 9OC. Since my target grade was mainly PSA 7, the only other cards I spent more than $50 for were the Chamberlain PSA 7, the Havlicek PSA 7, and the West PSA 7 (though I may have lucked out on this one and got it for less). If I decide to upgrade some of the other stars I have in PSA 6 (Frazier, Reed, and Hayes come to mind), I may have to break that barrier again.

I'll probably slowly work on upgrading some of the cards in the set when I can find deals on ones I have in PSA 6 and/or PSA 8 OC. With this set, OC is a common problem, so I'm not as upset by it as I would be on most other sets.

Well, it was fun experience, and now I need to finish up the Topps basketball sets for 1976-77 and 1970-71 set. And that will be it for the "Tallboy" cards for me!

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Congrats! Tall boys are always cool cards to have and usually have a good market should you decide to sell down the road.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    LORDT - Good job. Its a great set and its impressive that you have completed it. Enjoy It! ...jay
  • Options

<< <i>And the trimmed ones got submitted to another grading service that shall remain nameless. >>

• Options
    And the other service graded them too. It just goes to show how one man's trimmed card is another's 8.0 image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Congrats to you on your 100% complete set - as Vargha mentioned, it is a cool set to have! image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the kind remarks. It may take years before some of the other sets I'm working on reach 100%. Fortunately, all the tallboy sets are of a relatively limited size.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Way to go! What set are you going to attempt next?
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    I've got a 1976-77 basketball set that is about 95% complete, so I'm hoping to finish that early next year. More long term is the 1970-71 basketball set, and then there are basketball sets for 78-79, 80-81, and 81-82, all of which I have starts on but have a way to go. And on a much longer term basis are late 70s baseball sets (1977-80) and my sole registered football set, 1978, which I have my highest ranking for on the Registry at #5 but still have 60% more to go!
  • Options
    LordThanos1969

Congrats on going 100% complete with the 1969/70 set!
    Check out my vintage football card web site: WWW.MONSTERSOFTHEGRIDIRON.COM
    STEELERS4LIFE
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
  • Options
    Congrats LTimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work.