Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2004 westward journey mint rolls

Im just curious what would make these so special, i recieved two rolls, a set of P and D mint mark. Im not one to leave stuff alone and cracked them to take a look...to my utter disbeliefe, these things are trashed....absolutly worse than most nick's ive been finding in circulation.....Im curious if anyone else recieved these and cracked them open to take a look....And is the mint good about returning stuff, after all i see no reason to keep these at the price i paid for them, considering i can get better rolls at my bank a block away.....Im a little mad at this right at the moment....image
I'd rather be driving a titleist

Comments

  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    The general consesus is that the coins struck for circulation are very poor quality. Don't know how they get so many marks on them between the time they're struck and the time they get to you.
  • Options
    well to be honest, ive found pennies that have been on asphalt that are better than these, i already filled out the return card and am going to send these back....I feel almost as if ive been taken.....


    I do understand that they are not high quality, and not supposed to be but man these are bad....but man why pay so much more than face value (They were $13 shipped) for something worse than circulated image


    anyway, im not going to get all worked up over it, its only a few $$ and atleast i can return them image
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

  • Options
    I've had mixed results with the new nickel rolls from the mint. There's been a few nice ones but most are average strikes and some are downright ugly...
  • Options
    You missed the point. The rolls are the "collectible". Open them up and they are just spendable nickels. And if I was in charge of returns at the mint I would deny the return of the rolls too. You've opened the rolls so they are no longer the items they sent out. If the mint was still sealing the proof set holders and you broke one up, would you still expect the mint to take it back if you then decided you didn't want it? When you buy unopened rolls you are buying a "pig in a poke", they should be considered an "as is" purchase.
  • Options
    Conder 101 - you are dead on with the statement the "ROLLS" are collectible. I have taken to buying bank rolls at cost for high grade circulation searches. For any type of "quality" I buy mint and proof sets to bust up. If I were at the mint and someone wanted to return a busted roll I would not accept it because it was not what was sent out.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

    Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

    Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

    stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    they are getting returned.

    I'd rather be driving a titleist

  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685 ✭
    Just finished going through a roll of keelboats. There's not a single coin in the roll that would grade above MS-63 IMO. Total junk in other words. One thing I did notice was a deep gouge about 1/4 inch long on almost every coin, like it had been through some kind of counter or something. Most of the marks were on the obverse, but if it wasn't, most of the time it was on the reverse. Two or three nickels even had some spotting going on. This was a Christmas present from one of my daughters. I'll dare not say anything to her. I would like everyone here to know about it though. I'm very disapointed and totally pi$$ed at the mint for not having better quality control. I've actually spent better nickels than this. image

    image
    Wayne
    ******
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is music to my ears!!!!!!!!

    For every US Mint roll that is broken up or returned that makes the rest of them scarcer!!

    This includes orginal bank wrapped rolls.

    Not to bring up the term "return on enjoyment" but buying boxes and boxes of unopened obw 1955-D cent rolls just five years ago at $1.75 per roll from (the "penny merchant") Virg Marshall when he couldn't give them away is now yielding rolls now easily garnering $17.50 and up. I wished my stock portfolio went up 900% in the last five years!

    Yes indeed, the unopened paper wrapping of US Mint rolls is THE collectible. Not what is inside them. Oh, that is just an afterthought!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options


    << <i>Just finished going through a roll of keelboats. There's not a single coin in the roll that would grade above MS-63 IMO. Total junk in other words. One thing I did notice was a deep gouge about 1/4 inch long on almost every coin, like it had been through some kind of counter or something. Most of the marks were on the obverse, but if it wasn't, most of the time it was on the reverse. Two or three nickels even had some spotting going on. This was a Christmas present from one of my daughters. I'll dare not say anything to her. I would like everyone here to know about it though. I'm very disapointed and totally pi$$ed at the mint for not having better quality control. I've actually spent better nickels than this. image

    image >>




    im glad im not the only one...
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please let us know how your return goes. I bet they don't refund your your $$. CD
  • Options
    well if they dont then they can consider me as a never returning customer......along with discouraging anyone else to buy from them. but yes we will have to see.
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sammydabull: They will most likely exchange your rolls for new rolls they have put away for such events.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is usually a lot of variation from one roll to another. I don't know if this applies to the mint
    issued nickel rolls or not. All rolls tend to be the out put of only a few dies and the coins will be
    handled very similarly as they work their way through the system in close proximity. There are good
    rolls and bad rolls and typical rolls. there are also small numbers of great rolls and horrible rolls.

    At least with the rolls you get now days most all the coins are struck by dies in good condition. The
    early clad rolls can look as bad as what you're returning and all be struck from highly eroded and
    misaligned dies. Indeed, this was typical for some dates like the '66 quarter and is probably one of
    the biggest reasons that they weren't saved.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options


    << <i> I'm very disapointed and totally pi$$ed at the mint for not having better quality control >>


    Why? They make no promises of quality on the coins in these rolls. They aren't given any special handling. They are luck of the draw pocket change. Struck at high speed, dumped into bins, bounced through riddlers and run through counters and mechanical rolling machines. If you are expecting immaculate condition coins, you are dreaming.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685 ✭
    Conder101, yes your right in saying the mint makes no promisses of the quality of coins put into these rolls. When buying rolls directly from the mint one would expect a few flawless gems, wouldn't you ? I have been in the Philidelphia mint and have seen how coins are handled at high speed and in bulk. Just seems to me there is no quality control, according to the nickels I have. There Trash At least there worth 5 cents and just maybe they'll be worth 5 cents 25 years from now. image

    I don't buy rolls from the mint. This was a gift from one of my daughters. Before opening the roll I noticed the two end coins looked pretty bad. Then after reading this post I decided to open it and see what was inside. Shocked was the emotion of the moment.

    Just checked the mint site and they were selling these $4.00 worth of nickels for $8.95 + shipping. I'll stick with just my yearly purchase of the mint and proof sets.

    As far as returning something to the mint. I believe the item has to be unopened. Regretfully, I think that sammydabull will have a problem with this.

    Pig in a poke, if you ask me. Have a good day. image
    Wayne
    ******
  • Options


    << <i>When buying rolls directly from the mint one would expect a few flawless gems, wouldn't you ? >>


    No, not if you understand how circulation strike coins are produced. As far as quality control goes, if it is acceptable as spending coinage that's good enough. Nics, cuts, scratches, poor strikes are all still usable in commerce so they are good enough.
  • Options


    << <i>There is usually a lot of variation from one roll to another. I don't know if this applies to the mint
    issued nickel rolls or not. All rolls tend to be the out put of only a few dies and the coins will be
    handled very similarly as they work their way through the system in close proximity. There are good
    rolls and bad rolls and typical rolls. there are also small numbers of great rolls and horrible rolls. >>



    cladking is right on the money with this. I found this out by going through rolls and rolls of Sacs. If you get a good roll (which is no more than one in ten), there are a number of pretty coins in the roll and few below average. If they're bad, they're almost all bad. It's reasonable to assume that nickel rolls would be the same.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    Well i just got off the phone with the mint. They will honor a return due to excessive damage to the coins.
    image
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685 ✭
    image I didn't think they would do it though.
    Wayne
    ******
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165 ✭
    Well Sammy, that's great- buy I have some bad news for you. In fact, I'll lay odds on the following statement.....the ones you're gonna get in exchange are going to be just as bad. In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they return the very same coins you're returning, just re-rolled.

    3 very educated collectors attempted to share knowledge with you and I do believe not a word of it sank in. #1) The original unopened roll is the collectable, not the contents. #2)circulation strikes are made so fast and run thru the proverbial ringer, with no special treatment that if you think you will open a roll of Gems....well, then chicken have teeth! #3) If you want a shot at the higher graded pieces, buy Mint and Proof sets.

    Let us know how this next batch turns out, OK? Frankly I'm surprised they are accepting them at all. I mean REALLY! Think about it for just a second. Who's to say you or any other customer opens the rolls, cherrypicks them and sends back ones found in change? I DO feel for you though Sammy. It's part of the learning experience! Good Luck.image I like to drive Titleist too.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685 ✭
    Boom, my son returned a 2004 silver proof set that had a cracked case from shipping I'm sure. The mint just credited his account and never sent another one. I know that he asked for a replacement because he told me that he did.

    As far as mint rolled anything from the mint, I will not be purchasing any rolls in the future. Paying over double than face for a piece of paper just don't get it for me. I understand what everyone is saying about business struck coins that are in these rolls. image
    Wayne
    ******
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165 ✭
    Yeah Wayne, I'm with you. I'll not pay crazy prices buying rolls of business strikes from the Mint either. They've turned into one heck of a coin dealer as of late. I'm very selective about US Mint Purchases and check them thoroughly.image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The original unopened roll is the collectable, not the contents. >>


    True and the same goes for the mini mint bags.
    The prices people pay for some of the early State Quarter bags amaze me. image
    Larry

  • Options
    Boom,
    I have listened to what people have said but im also one who wont pay double for a piece of paper. As far as them sending me another roll of the nick's, ill pass, ill take the measily $8 and walk to my bank every day untill i can get rolls from them. Ive already recieved a few rolls from them and have never recieved coins as bad as this. I understand about the piece of papaer is the collectable, and well if thats the case ill take some silver certificates as "paper" collectables.

    as far as recieving halfway decent coins, I have recieved two rolls of "gems" from a bank rolled roll of nicks, so its the mint cutting corners to make $$$. Theyre expecting people to not open them so theyre jamming absolute junk nick's in there....

    I'd rather be driving a titleist

  • Options
    Hmmmm I gotta put in my 2 cents. I bought both bags and rolls of the peace nickels, had to have em, had to be "mint wrapped." I was totally disgusted!!! I'm hardheaded tho, had to buy 2 1000 coin p mint bags before it sank in. The coins were garbage!image Send em back? No way. Its a roll of the dice, and I lost, but I did get to spend em.

    On the bright side, I bought a few of the westward journey nickel sets, and found some beautiful ms nicks!
    Got these just before the mint ran out. Now I have to make a decision. Break the sets up and slab them, or keep the sets intact an original? I'm avoiding it for now and have set em aside in my safe.

    We can't always find the 67's and image 68's that a few lucky people have found. I would wager that if you had found 1 of these beauties, you woulda sold it for mad money, and never looked back. As it is, IMO you got lucky, and the mint is letting you return them.

    There have been a lot of comments in the past on "Mint Bags" and "Mint Rolls." They are not generally the place to find the gems we all love and covet. They do seem to be good for later sales or trading material tho, due to the low issue amounts (and that seems to be changing as they become more and more
    popular).
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I heard an unsubstantiated story that there was a big buyer who'd
    get a couple thousand proof sets from the mint each year. The sets would be checked
    for high grades and up to 60% returned for replacement and the process repeated un-
    til it wasn't worth the postage any more. According to the story he'd done it for a few
    years but the mint was starting to "discourage" the buyer from continuing the practice.

    I visited the Denver mint in 1980 and was allowed to look through a large number of
    souvenir mint sets. There wasn't much there except a great run of dimes. The clerk
    told me she had never had anyone look through uncirculated coin of any type before
    but on rare occasion people would look through the proof coins. They allowed it if the
    place wasn't too busy.

    One time back in the '80's the mint claimed to have a policy of destroying all returned
    merchandise but it's not impossible that this policy changed at some point. When the
    mint cut up 1981 mint sets to put the coins into circulation (most were mixed into 1982
    bags), they said that some of the sets were returns.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file