Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

DaunTempted by Bowman Mahogany

I like collecting rare parallels and I'm really conflicted on this Bowman Mahogany. It looks like it's all 351 cards in the set, so that's daunting. But they are numbered to 25 so it's a tempting challenge. The appearance is flat and dull, so that's not really attractive. But they are like that because they are printed on wood, the largest such set yet made, so that is attractive. This is the sort of set you'd spend years building because of the scarcity, so that's daunting. But I've spent years building many other sets, so that's not much of a daunt (can that be used as a noun?). Now would be the best time to get into it, the largest availalability. I've already missed several good ones (a Daryl Jones for $3.75? D'oh!). The prices don't seem out of line, probably not competition. But there are a lot of rookies that'll be expensive, but I can wait for them to come down, if they ever do.

We wants it! No, we wants to stay away!

I know, I'll wait for a sign. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a box of Heritage for Christmas. If I get a Mahogany in that box (1:39 odds), I'll go for the set. If not, then I won't. That makes perfect sense.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    I just did a quick glance of the cards and stuff and I was impressed, I had not looked at it in detail because the 2003 just did nothing for me. I like the look of this set as well as the mahogany cards. There is a Bonds up on Ebay right now
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I just went on eBay and looked at the mahogany cards for sale. Most are selling for around 10 Bucks. This set should not be too too hard to complete as long as you start buying them now.
    You mentioned these cards are made of wood ? Will PSA grade a card made of wood ? What do they look for ? A fine wood grain ?
    Splintered edges ? Warping ?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    PSA 8 KH (Knot Hole)