Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Here we go again...52' Mantle deal???

Comments

• SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Gotta love those dead mother's bible finds!
  • Since his mom had a bible, he must be honest, bid with confidence my brothers!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Occasionally I do or say some dumb things and afterwards I'm like "Man I feel really stupid." That feeling quickly dissipates though, when I see auctions run by morons like this one. Let's hear it for all the idiots in this world who make the rest of us feel just a little bit smarter!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's hear it for all the idiots in this world who make the rest of us feel just a little bit smarter! >>

I second that. Three cheers for the guys in this forum (I assume that's who you meant?) image
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He makes it clear that payment is to be made only by cashiers check. He wants us to trust him but he sure doesn't trust anyone else - LOL.
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    This has got to be a joke. Is it April Fools Day already?
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • When I was in 8th grade a kid in my class really did find two Mantle rookies in his grand fathers bible. If I had not seen them myself I wouldn't have believed it. I have not seen him in twenty years but it would suck for him to ever sell them on ebay. I remember looking in beckett and seeing them at around $1500 each!

Who would believe it???
  • I know it's not the same as a '52, but in 1973, my father found a 1966 Mantle in a library book. I know it was 1973 because I dutifully marked it "'73" on the back in red ink to note when I got it. I still have it and despite the fact that it would grade PSA 1 MK, I don't love it any the less.

Thanks

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, well in my great aunt's bible after her death, I found a relic from a saint (and I'm not talking about New Orleans).
    Beat that. image

It's not as bizarre or as gross as it sounds. Padre Pio (1887-1968) was an Italian priest who was widely expected during his life to be a candidate for sainthood (he was canonized in 2002). Many of his robes were cut up, and swatches distributed among devout Catholics, often accompanying prayer cards.

Just think of this as the religious version of a G-U card.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I found a bookmark in a Bible once.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Beckett Baseball book and the value is $12,000 low-$18,000 high. Haven't seen this bible in about 9 years. I will start this under the low, but won't give it away.
    Good for you.
  • Read the revised auction description...what a whack job!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Read the revised auction description...what a whack job! >>

Wow
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    "Maybe somebody is playing a very mean trick on me" .... That's no way to talk about your dead mother!
  • In 1963 My father bought a house in Phila. (331 W. Girard Ave.). The house had been owned by a man who worked for Bowman. In the basement of the house were many (I don't remember the exact no. I was 11 years old) unopened boxes of Baseball, Football and yes a couple of Basketball Card boxes. My father gave them to me. I remember destroying several 51 Bowman Mantles in my bike, flipping cards etc. I sold what was left in 1978 for $1100.00. Wish I had those boxes today.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Warhound, That is one of the saddest card stories that I have ever read. Is that story true?
  • Unfortunately it is. Although what I sold (In 1978) were almost complete sets of Bowman cards from 1948 to 1954 plus Topps baseball cards, so I guess some of the cards are still floating around the hobby. Also sold my comic books - Complete runs of FF, Spiderman, X-Men, Daredevil, Avengers, plus many other Marvel titles. I was 28 (In 1978) - I thought I didn't need that kid stuff any more.
    At least I sold it - Mom didn't put the stuff in the garbage. But boy I wish I could get it back.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • -Always looking for modern goalie/Ron Hextall cards.
    -CU references- andersonscards, masterzzz1, seth2720, BrawnyMan, VezinaKid
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Well, now he's given up on the Mantle scam and taken to begging people to send him money. At least that's more honest.