Home PSA Set Registry Forum

"Limited" Jordans, Card Companies need new gimmicks

The card companies have got to come up with a new gimmick in order to keep the new stuff moving. They also need to drastically limit the number of releases that they pump out each year. They just keep adding more and more junk. The problem with this is that every Upper Deck release has Jordan autos limited to #23 and now they are sneaking in numbers up to 90 and 100. I know a guy that thought he could corner the market on "limited" Jordan's when they first started producing them and selling at $10K a pop. They now go for $500-700. Let's assume Jordan ONLY signs for the next twenty years. Every year let's say he signs 500 times for Upper Deck. That's a minimum of 10,000 more cards on the market. How many "limited" Lebron's do you think there will be at his age?

Game used stuff is pure crap and there will be no such thing as a "limited" auto. Any ideas for a new gimmick to keep people buying this stuff and the hobby rolling in the right direction?

Need future collectors to stay interested and get involved in the vintage market.

Comments

• I personally believe that every card printed, regular issue or not, should be serial numbered. Regular issue cards should be limited to something like 20k, and parallel sets should be limited to about 200-300, and if the company wanted, they could have a second parallel set that was limited to 50 or so. As for the game used junk, I feel its just that... junk. If you want something that is game used... go to an auction house and buy a whole game used bat, or jersey. Autos are cool, every kid wants an autograph, but that whole deal has just gotten out of hand.

i could go on for hours, but thats my 2cents
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

How about cards with small chips in them,
    so that when you insert them into a small device with a screen,
    you get to see a short action clip of the athlete on the card ?

The card companies could make money selling the viewing devices as well.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    A lot of it has do do with the current popularity of NBA players. Unfortunately, other than the recent LeBron and Carmelo (and now Wade) hype, it seems like no NBA stars carry anywhere close to the marketing weight of MJ. Kobe had a shot, but his recent bad publicity hurt that with many fans. It may be some time before you see another MJ type player (like Bird/Magic before him, and Dr.J before them), until then the card companies are going to milk the MJ machine for all they can.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i> I know a guy that thought he could corner the market on "limited" Jordan's when they first started producing them and selling at $10K a pop. They now go for $500-700. >>

I feel sorry for people who get trapped with hot new cards when they are at its peak. No different I guess than colelctors who purchased PSA 10 1986 Fleer Jordans for $35000.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Jon. Sometimes I like to look for nice Mark McGwire cards and I am far more inclined to buy them and pay more for them if they are serial numbered. "Rare" inserts aren't really rare if 200,000 were made.
  • Nice idea Wolfbear. Now that's creative. How about ticket redemptions to the All-Star game or NBA playoffs.

Something has gotta give. I too feel sorry for the guys left holding the bag who are spending fortunes on this stuff. Even though I love to collect vintage hoops, you never forget the times you had ripping open packs with your brother and that has led me to buy new stuff at times to experience the thrill again.

How many times have you opened the new stuff and then right after been so pissed off at yourself for blowing all that money on pure junk? I could have bought more 48 bowmans, 57 topps and 61 fleer with that money!