Comments

• Options
    looks unc to me.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing there's a little wear on the dragon's face, so I'll say AU.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going with Ch. AU. Might make MS62 at a TPG.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the mushroom said.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AU-55
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as an unc... no more than 62

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    If I were to bid for this item based on the standard "look at the picture and bid accordingly" line, I would guess that the owner used the best possible picture of the item and would expect to receive a nice AU or with luck an MS62ish coin.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Looks like I'm not the only one who does not agree with NGC.

UNC or AU, I'll let the picture tell you. The one above is listed here ebay, the one below is I found in another forum.

• Options
    Those pics look like two different coins. Are they?
  • Options
    Yes, they are two different coins.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭
    It's definitely overgraded. I think there's too much wear to even merit AU. I would have called it EF.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Could a weak strike account for the grade?
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    AU at best. Compare the dragon faces of the two coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think newsman may be onto something. Strike could have something to do with it. I have a hard time believing NGC would give a 64 RB to a blatant slider.

As for myself, I would reserve judgment without seeing the coin in person. Which is why I hedged my bets in the earlier guess. Like ajaan (and JoesMaName), I would've said choice AU (maybe 55-58), if not MS. And I probably would've only guessed 62 RB at best if MS. But it's really tough to say from the picture.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I think if the grader saw the second coin before, the first one would never receive this grade. They just don't know enough about this type of coins when they grade it, and this is not the first time I saw this happen.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think NGC is being overwhelmed with coins to grade. Now that PCGSs turnaround time is, what? 3 months?, I fear NGC is rushing through coins to achieve their 10 day turnaround. I know they are looking for more World coin graders and perhaps this will solve some of their overgrading, at times, problems.

We also have to remember that grading world coins for TPGs is a pain at times. There are so many different types that it is impossible to know everything about every coin. It is just the nature of the beast.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I would have called the first one AU not that it matters, the dragon is cool regardless. image
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 may be alittle optimistic, however, it is still a nice coin that appears to have quality surfaces and even though the strike is weak, an UNC grade to me is not unreasonable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.