Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rotated reverse on a 1864 Indian cent

How common is it to have a rotated reverse ( or obverse ) on this series? i have a 1864 that the reverse is within 10% of the obverse. in the album it doesn`t look flipped like all the others. is this common or is this one i should keep back?
If you can read this, your too close.

A DAMMIT BOY from Jonesy 1/25/05

Lieutenant, Covert Operations
Subcommittee

my first POTD award 7/16/05
the cat ate my blue fish.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the IHC, but rotated reverses on the Two Cent Piece from that year are pretty common and bring little premium.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks Russ, Does anyone know of a good website or forum member that has any info on Indian cents?

Subcommittee

• Options
    I have a 63 that is rotated about 35 degrees!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too uncommon though I couldn't tell you the exact percentage.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    This one is farther off than any i`ve seen. If the shield would normally be at 6 oclock the one i have is at 2 oclock.

Subcommittee

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    here's what i've observed over 30 years. quite common to see 1864 BRONZE w/ rotated dies of 150 - 210 degrees. however, it is NOT so common to see the CN coins like this, nor the bronze w/L coins.

which 1 do you have?

i have no pop reports or anything like that to back this up, just my observations over the years.

K S
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Not all that unusual, I have several.
  • Options
    It is one of the bronze ones.

Subcommittee

• Options
    Thanks for the info, I`ll keep it in the album then, Saves having to buy one to replace it.image

Subcommittee

• Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    While the term "rotated reverse" is often used, quite frankly it is impossible to determine which die rotated. A better term is "rotated die error".

When dealing with a single specimen, it is also impossible to determine whether the rotation was fixed at installation, or whether the die simply got loose and rotated spontaneously.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    I picked up a circ IHC collection this week. I just noticed the 1864 Bronze is rotated about 85%, So, I went into the archives and pulled up this thread. It's a low grade coin. But my question is this... Should I look for a premium because of the rotated die?
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not unusual. There are a bunch of Indian cents in the 1860s w/rotated dies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file