Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Grading Opinion on Venezuelan

What grade to you think the below 1966 Venezuelan Palmer RC would receive if graded by PSA? It has a light surface crease in the bottom left corner on the back. Based upon PSA's guideline, it would receive a PSA 4 at best due to the crease. Has anyone seen cards with surface creases grade higher than PSA 4?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    A modern card with a crease would get a 5. And the rest of the card can be perfect. SO with that in mind I don't see this getting above a 4 maybe even a 3.

James
    x
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I have spoken w/ several card dealers this year and they have told me of the incredible value and demand for Venezuelan cards.

Are the cards themselves graded on higher scale by PSA and market in general or is this simply not true?

Thanks
    Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    67Standup has a pretty good take on the Venezuelans as do a few of the other guys here. I don't believe PSA is more lenient in grading this issue and tend to agree with James assessment of a possible grade Mike.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    As a Venezuelans collector, I can tell you that PSA grades Venezuelans with the exact same standards as they do the regular US issue Topps cards from the same year. They are not the least bit forgiving on the issue, and I honestly do not think they understand just how difficult it is to find these without paper loss, glue stains, tape residue, writing, or creases... not to mention the vast array of other alterations that South American collectors performed on them, and that still does not even take into consideration that the cards were printed with no gloss, so they got dirty and toned from even mild handling.

Your picture does not illustrate the crease you described, but you did not explain it very clearly. Is it a crease or a surface wrinkle that doesn't come through to the front. If it's a crease, you will get a 2 or 3, barring the back having a light glue stain that is not visible in the scan. If it's a surface wrinkle, you have a shot at a 5, although the corners look more like 4's from the scan.

Here's as close to perfect as you will ever find a Venezuelan, and they still call it a 7. This might as well be a 10 in Venezuelan standards. The Robinson is a 5 (probably lower end) and you can get an idea of the corners. Your Palmer looks a little more worn in the corners, and centering is a non-issue in determining the grade once you get to that level.

imageimage

-Josh
  • Options
    Mike,

Here's a great thread from last year that might interest you. It even features the Venezuealan Palmer!

JEB.
  • Options
    Hey Mike,

Here's a bunch to compare to. None have back damage however the PSA-2 has a big crease.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    6 graded Palmers: awesome!
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin