Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Your Coin is Registered in Another Set

NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering how common this is. I recently purchased a coin from a dealer who had the cert number imaged on his website, when I received the coin and entered the cert number, it was registered under another set. I am fairly certain this person has never owned the coin, a fairly scarce overdate, as the slot is now empty on that set, as opposed to an upgrade situation where the person sold the coin. I would bet other coins in this set are cert numbers plucked from websites.

Has this happened to anyone else? How much should I charge this person rent for use of the number?

Bill

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Comments

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Bill,

Regardless of how it happened, this is easy to fix if you have the coin in your possesion. I had this happen about a year ago, and BJ (at CU/PCGS) quickly fixed the problem. I suggest you send her a PM (just send the PM to "BJ"; I don't recall her e-mail address) and let her know you have a PCGS graded coin, and are have trouble entering it in to the Registry because it seems someone is already using the cert. #.

Greg
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Greg,

I should have noted that I did contact PCGS, who in turn contacted the other set owner, and the coin slot is now empty on his set for that overdate. The coin is now on my set.

Bill
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many fake sets are made from people obtaining numbers from Ebay or other auction houses...does this happen?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I sell a registry quality coin on eBay, I park it temporarily in a set to thwart the cert number thieves. Then, once the new owner has the coin I delete it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    This happened to me on NGC coins. I've had the coins about a year and finally entered them into the NGC registry and all were still holding places in other's sets. As with PCGS, the situation was quickly remedied when noticed.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭
    I've had this happen several times. Some on my part and mostly on other people's ends. Last one was from Hertiage auction last month. Sometimes when I sell a fairly expensive duplicate, I keep the coin registered in my set. After the new owner tells me he/she has the coin, I delete it from my set. What if the coin gets lost in the mail? Now I have the serial number and can alert people to the coin number and PCGS in case it shows back up. I never had this problem, but I like to have this safety cushion, just in case. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Its happened to me a couple of times. Its no big deal to get corrected.
  • Options

This happened to me this week. The individual who sold me the coin over E-bay forgot to erase the coin from his set. Just send an e-mail to PCGS when you try to enter the coin. There is an e-mail address.

Worse case you may have to scan the coin and then e-mail to PCGS. They can correct it in 3-days.
  • Options
    This has happened to me to so now after I paid for the coin and the seller has been notifed that he or she has been paid I enter it in my set. Then if there is a problem I can e-mail them before the coin has left their hands.

Can anyone find a problem with this?
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Heck, I screwed the pooch on this one a couple of times... have a few registry sets and forgot to remove them once I sold them... the new owners emailed and that was that...

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    I'm guilty as well. Sometimes I'll put a coin in other then the main set. Once when I upgreade I only deleted it from the one set.
    On a side note if I sold a coin and it got "lost" in the mail I think I would leave the cert. # in a seperate set in case someone , innocently or not, tried to enter the number.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    badger

Just to let you know I lost my NGC password so I never deleted the coins, but I when I got the e-mail from NGC, I did right away let them know that the coins belong to you now.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA