Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Downgrading a Set

Ever downgrade a set? I just downgraded my T201 set. I was only 3 from completion, although one of the 3 was the Cobb/Crawford. I have several 6s, but my goal is to collect 5s. Because of a recent run and high prices on 6s, I decided to put up 4 PSA 6 commons with relatively high reserves and 3 sold. Two of the commons went for around $950 total and I replaced them last night for $190 (one 4 and one 5). The rest of the $ will go to a Cobb/Crawford. My seller's remorse has quickly faded..........

Comments

• Options
    smart idea, depending on your interests. I have thought about it myself, but just trying to snipe dups in the same grade for less money. One's are better looking than what I have now, then sell the current holder not the card!
  • Options
    Gator -
    I saw your listings and was wondering what you were up to but figured
    it was something like that. I've downgraded sets before and there's
    nothing at all wrong with it. Some people tend to forget the "buying power"
    in the value of cards one already owns. I've downgraded in the past
    and used the new funds to actually improve my set. I just wish I was
    able to pick up some of those t201's that were on my watchlist. image
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Hey, Bill.

I kept looking at the Dooin/Titus and thinking, "this is a great card, but I'd rather have $450." I decided I'd rather complete the set (by getting the Cobb) and having any extra $ to upgrade the HOFs - for ex., I have a PSA 3 Speaker that I'd like to upgrade to a 5. If I could've kept the 6s and purchased the Cobb and HOF upgrades, I certainly would have.

But...I would've had to stop buying (or thinking about buying) a bunch of Mike Schmidt cards, '74 Topps and '75 Topps minis...........