Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1954 Topps- Are they True Color Photos or Colored B&W's

I got into a conversation tonight with a fellow who owned a few 54's....particularly the Mathews, Ford, Berra, Jackie Robinson,and Spahn.

He could not believe me when I told him that they were B&W photos that had color added to them by a artist after the fact. I told him 1957 was the first year topps used TRUE color photos.

My friend is still skeptical...what all have you guys heard?? 1954 topps..True Photos or Not. He is waiting for your responses as he reads these boards

Lothar52

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    They are black and white photos with color tinting added... it was a great job and often looks real.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< He could not believe me when I told him that they were B&W photos that had color added to them by a artist after the fact. I told him 1957 was the first year topps used TRUE color photos. >>>

You are correct.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, I as well never heard about this. The 54 set is such a vintage classic, not as good as the 52 or 53 set but a great choice to collect. I think the Teddy ballgame cards are some of the finest in the set.
  • Options
    I'm rather partial to the Kaline rookie card, but I hear the Aaron is a nice pickup. image