Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Origins of 9's and 10's

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just thinking about where these high quality cards came from? I am talking about High end 8's along with 9's and 10's.

I am hoping to hear some stories about "Finds" does not matter which year or sport. Im curious how some of these vintage sportcards remained in such good shape over the years and ended up in a 9 or 10 holder.

Are they all from unopened material that was found?

looking to have some conversation about cards here....

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Perk the stuff is out there. I remm back in the early 80's thinking stuff was scarce and a dealer friend 2 towns over who had been doing this since the late 70's told me, and I will never forget it "The stuff is out there" and it is.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I know about 4 or 5 people that have all the complete topps sets from '52-'75 or so. They collected the cards when they were younger and have just held onto them ever since. They are of course raw. I look at it like this... if I know that many people with that many sets, most of which are in straight NM shape, there must be thousands of people over the country that have comparable collections. While most of the sets from around the country aren't in NM shape (because people didn't care nearly as much about condition 50 years ago), there are many that are, and if you take a NM 500 card set that hasn't been touched in 30 years, you are bound to find several 9's, and maybe one or two 10's.

Its just a matter of time until the owner learns about grading. Either that or he decides to sell the set raw (or dies) and the new owner has an appreciation for PSA, whether they are looking to get the set graded for their own reasons, or to break it up and sell it. Grading is still a VERY new concept. I would guess that an extremely high percentage of vintage set owners, of any condition, just flat don't care about getting their cards graded. There are still hundreds if not thousands of raw vintage sets out there that are in NM-MT condition that are sitting in a box, stuffed under all kinds of stuff in a closet, and haven't even been looked at in 20 years. I predict in another 20 or 30 years, when the original owners of all of those 50's sets die, we will see many, many more high grade vintage cards because the new owner of the cards will probably want to sell them, and whomever buys them will do so for whatever reasons, but the cards will end up being graded.

thats just my 2cents worth
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Jon,

sure there are many mint raw cards out there, but if they come into the market at a slow pace, 1 to 3 a year, populations might not increase that dramatically.

Attrition will take care of some cards along the way.

Fires (remember M. Murphy), floods, Post office maulings, and all acts of nature could really take a toll after some time.

There have been cards on the bay ..that i thought i let go because they got to expensive since surely they will be others, well its been years sometimes since i seen another one and i could kick myself for not going all out when i had the chance.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good input,
    How about any big "Finds" over the years? Anybody know of any?

I happen to collect 52 Bowman Large Football and I remember reading an advertisment in Beckett vintage collector which showed The guy from BMW sporting a bunch of NM and mint cards from "The Wichita Find" Anyone hear of this? Or any other big finds come to mind?
  • Options
    Paul's (perkdog) thirst for "find" stories is something I too am very interested in but have yet to find much reading material on. I have read Mr. Mint's books and read a few articles, but that's about it. Anyone know of any recent finds? Or any links to some on the web?

mimage
    everywhere you go
    there you are

marc in Hawaii