Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Proof 1892 Columbian Half Mystery: Updated 6/14/06

13»

Comments

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I just examined my five 1892 Columbians in NGC PL holders. My MS65 has some flatness on the rigging JUST AS IT FALLS OVER THE SIDE OF THE SHIP so no way it is proof, only prooflike. Two of my MS64s have some flatness similar to the MS64, so again only prooflike. What interests me is two of my MS64s have far more definition on this rigging area and now I am thinking "Could they be proofs?".

The pictures in SILVER AND GOLD COMMEMORATIVE COINS by Anthony Swiatek I found difficult to use to distinguish between proof and prooflike.

Waiting for Jade to come back to us.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

• UPDATE!

I just received the CDN Monthly (6/9/06) and the front page article is about Proof vs. P/L Columbian Halves. The article was written by Anthony Swiatek. Interestingly enough, the article doesn't give solid information about the proof diagnostics, but rather the same information regarding the strong strike. The article does, however, provide some fantastic historical information regarding the 1892/3 Columbian commemorative half proof issues. It is a good read.

Mr. Swiatek was kind enough to examine the coin that I posted here and he did state that he thought it would qualify as a proof. We have not done much with the coin in the past year, other than putting it in our case at an occassional show. The next step is to take some better images and post them here.

Sorry for the short update, but I thought that it was worthy information. Any quesitons/comments?
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

I seen the article and my first thought was of,you and your coin.

All I can say is,Good Luck.

Brian
    NUMO
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>It's a proof. Okay, now you have a definitive answer.

Russ, NCNE >>

stop slinging propagandaimage

not sure, but it looks proof to meimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Better pics of the MS coin would be nice... Sorry about the unreasonable request... image
  • Hello,

What ever happened with this coin? I forgot about it.

Best,
    Eric
  • Cool thread. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thread was definitely before my time here so it was cool to read. not sure whether it's a proof or not, but I do know that I want it image
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis is no longer active with the JadeRareCoin forum ID. his new ID is numisma and it looks like he hasn't been active here for awhile, his eBay username is also inactive. does anyone know of his where-abouts, that's probably more important than the coin in question??
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Check Kevin Flynn's new book on commemoratives. He did a lot of original source research.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file