Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Brooklyn Dodgers Game Jersey Duke Snider

Hello,
My father-in-law has an original flannel jersey that was worn by Duke Snider. He played on the Brooklyn Dodger farm team in the late 50's. He sayes that they got hand-me-down (used) uniforms to wear from the major league players at the time. Well, his uniform is #4. It has all the official patches on it and it is in great shape. He has a picture of him (my father-in-law) wearing the uniform in a team photo with the coach (Roy Campanella). He also has another jersey from another Dodger player who only played 1 year in the majors and I can not remember his name or the number on the jersey. Can anyone tell me about how much this jersey is worth? I know that this is not alot of info to make a apprasial, but I just need some idea. I am wanting to buy it from him and keep it in the family. He needs the money and I want to give him a fair price for it. I can make a picture and post it if it would help. Just let me know what parts to take close-ups of for identification. Thanks.
Stacy Hazelwood

Comments

• Options
    Hello Stacy,

Welcome to the boards! I am an advanced collector and can certainly help you with your questions. I would prefer to communicate with you privately, as I have a rather high-profile within the hobby. This way, I can give you a list of things to look for and help you evaluate the value of the jersey. In order to talk privately - person to person - you need to go back to your personal "profiles" and go down to where it says, "allow private messages" and click on "yes". Finally, go to the bottom of the page and hit "update profile". Then hit "refresh" on your screen and you're done. After that, I will be happy to go through the checklist of what to look for in evaluating the jersey.

Look forward to discussing this with you,

Regards,

Twindad
  • Options
    jeffo81jeffo81 Posts: 626 ✭✭
    I too am a high-profile dealer....but I would not mind discussing your jersery's on the open board.

I want to make sure you get fair market value what sounds like incredible peices!

Put some pictures up for us!

Thanks
    Jefferson "Mr Mint" Ellas
    I collect Bobby Orr cards if you have anything interesting to offer ! Thanks
  • Options
    Mr. Mint,

Contrary to your statement, I am NOT a dealer, as you describe yourself. I'm just a collector who wants to talk person to person with someone. I have no profit motive here. As a dealer, I assume you profit from selling sportscards and other items? You want this person to post pictures. What exactly do you want her to post? If you want to help her, be more specific so she can be lead in the right direction and not mislead.

By the way, the last I looked, the "Mr. Mint" monaker was taken over 20 years ago. His name is Alan Rosen. Is there another generation of Mr. Mint's out there?

Twindad
  • Options
    Here are a few pics. It is a 1959 jersey. He also has a 1951 jersey worn by R. Teed #30 who was only with the Dodgers for 2 days. The second attached pic is labeled wrong. I have it R. Teed and it is really the back of the Snider jersey. I will post pics of the Teed jersey later.
    Stacy Hazelwood
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Can we see the picture of your father-in-law wearing this jersey (with Campy)? Thanks
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Yes, here is 2 pics of him wearing the uniform. In the team pic, players on the left side look blurry because he has the pic framed and I had to take the pic at an angle to keep the flash from glaring. Bill is the one next to Campy. I have about 15 pics just made including close ups of all tags and flaws. If anyone is interested, I can email them to you. I am not going to post them all here because I saved them as huge files and my computer takes forever to reduce the pics small enough to post here or it may be the operators fault for not knowing just how to do it. You would need high speed to probably get them all.
    Stacy Hazelwood
  • Options
    Here are a couple of pics of the 1951 jersey.
    Stacy Hazelwood
  • Options
    I am wrong about it being a Brooklyn Dodger Jersey. It is a 1959 LA Dodger jersey.
    Stacy Hazelwood
  • Options
    Great pictures (love them!)..Anyways, research shows that Richard "Dick" Teed did indeed play one game for the Brooklyn Dodgers on 07/24/53. However, it's a mystery (to me anyway) as to what unform number he wore. Standout pitcher Billy Loes wore #30 from 1952 thru 1956. Out of curiosity, what name is sewed in the collar of this jersey? The Dodgers may have made a number change (to # 30) for use in the minors. Thanks for sharing!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Yes, I it is odd that the jersey is dated 1951 and he played 1 game in 1953. I wonder who had the number 30 in 1951? Because the numbers do not look like they have been changed or maybe I don't know what to look for.
    Stacy Hazelwood
  • Options
    My research shows that no one wore #30 at the Major League level for the Dodgers in 1951 (Baseball By the Numbers; Stang & Harkness 1997). If you unbutton it and show it through the light (from the inside) you may see evidence of a prior number on it. It's also possible that the jersey was made for Teed in 1951 in anticipation of him making the team that year & when he didn't, it may have been sent down/recycled into their minor leagues system where you father-in-law picked it up (just a thought). This is the kind of stuff that makes this hobby interesting.
  • Options
    You are right. It is very interesting. Bill said when he played, he remembers the staff bringing in many suitcases full of used Dodger uniforms to hand out to the rookie league players. Man wouldn't you love to have a pot luck suitcase full of used Dodger uniforms now? Thanks for your info. Stacy
    Stacy Hazelwood