Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Forgive me if I'm too much of a Scandinavian here, but...

... I found this coin by coincidence:

Expensive Seated Liberty

It's a pretty coin with a nice toning, but looking at the pictures it suddenly struck me that this coin is not even uncirculated - not by Scandinavian standards. The pictures are small in the auction, but in some of the close-ups I believe I see clear traces of rubbing on Liberty's hair, dress and feet. The kind of rubbing that a coin gets if it is pushed across a table once or twice.

In Scandinavia, that would make the coin grade AU. Or is it supposed to look like this? I have never seen such a high grade Seated Liberty in "person" so it's hard for me to tell - but I would never pay more than AU-price for this coin. What's your opinion?

Oh, and sorry for posting a liteside coin here... image but I don't have the courage to post it in the right forum. Somebody just might try and kill me for this kind of blasphemy against the US grading system image

Marcel
Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You forget there are closet Lightsiders over here watching every move and reporting back to HQ!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin looks unc to me. A total AT'd and Hairlined POS, but unc. Other than that, what's not to like? image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to wait until a real expert chimed in...imageimage I couldn't tell from the pictures if all those lines were hairlines or just die polish lines. Although in a few places (like the arm) it appears that the lines run onto the devices, meaning they are hairlines. And I second TDN's assertion that the coin is hairlined to death. AT, yes, probably. But it sure looks good in the smaller pix!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    image at "Somebody just might try and kill me for this kind of blasphemy against the US grading system image "

• Options
    1. The coin is not certified

2. Trends lists $8,500.00 in MS-65

3. I think it is hairlined as well

I will take a GB Crown of the era any day, though I do own 2 trade dollars
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will take a GB Crown of the era any day >>

image ... and, yeah, I see hairlines, too image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Run -- don't walk -- away from anything offered by "[Ig]noblespirit"! image He couldn't grade his way out of a paper bag. He has potential as a grader for ACG, but that's as far as his talent stretches.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcel:

TDN offered his thoughts on this one and he is about as good as anyone can be when it comes to grading this series and I couldn't agree more with what he wrote.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TDN is completely correct.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    OK so please forgive my ingorance, where do hairlines come from? Especially if the coin is UNC?

Dr J
  • Options
    Cabinet or flip friction.

I prefer a nice original AU55 like this one. It's a lot cheaper too.image

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Someone said it's Artificially Toned (AT). I'm guessing it's been cleaned (that's where hairlines often come from) and they've toned it to hide them.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

<< <i>Someone said it's Artificially Toned (AT). I'm guessing it's been cleaned (that's where hairlines often come from) and they've toned it to hide them. >>

I agree with you. AT and really cleaned. Shame too it had promiseimage
  • Options
    Alright, thanks for your opinions. So in the US it would grade UNC even with the scraches? I'm learning every day image

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a very nice-looking coin - the toning is great even if it's artificial. I still wouldn't pay more than AU price for it, though. Not even if it was slabbed UNC. Slabbed coins are beginning to emerge on Danish auctions and they are often downgraded by half a grade or even a full grade to fit into our grading system.

That's a shame. Some US coins are quite pretty in high grades, but I probably wouldn't be able to afford those that are truly uncirculated image

Marcel
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I don't think any reputable grading service would grade this uncirculated. Most will downgrade a full point or even two for harsh cleaning like this one displays.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Depending on the service, it would be bodybagged or net graded to AU at best. Nobody in their right mind would pay Unc. for it.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm terrible at spotting artificial toning, and that all but screamed "AT" to me. And then there are the hairlines.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It turns out that the bidders agree with you folks. I don't know the catalog value of this coin in AU, but it ended up at $1800 - somewhat less than the $15.000 the seller suggested imageimage

Marcel