Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Numismatist Companion books by Bowers

I just finished the 8 books in this series. Each book is around 200 pages, and is a compilation of articles from the old Bowers and Merena/Ruddy Rare Coin Review issues (and other old Bowers' house organs). Not all of the articles are written by Bowers and the variety of articles is incredible. They range from colonials to moderns, to historical pieces, to background info on minting processes to general articles on collecting. The articles are great, and I found approximately 98% of them to be very to extremely interesting. Some of the articles are pretty generic and high level, but others are incredibly detailed (such as articles on particular varieties in a series). I highly reccomend the books to everyone, no matter what your collecting interest. I bought them used from Amazon for about $6 each, and the ones that I couldn't find used I bought from DLRC or Brett Kruger (spelling?) for about $11 each. They are great reads.

I also just finished Taxay's Counterfeit and Misstruck Coins and I will post a more substantial review in a bit.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for posting your review, I have been intending to buy those. image

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These started in 1987.
    A really great author.
    I wish he would join us here.image
    Larry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have read four of the eight...it did not occur to me to check Amazon to pick up the rest. I agree with Longacre. I did skip a few articles in each book that were OT for me, but overall, the quality of writing and breadth and depth of material covered is excellent.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got 'em all and have read them each at least three times.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    These books are inexpensive and great fun reading plus easy to transport because of their size.
    I always take one along when I head for some waiting room. I grew fond of the artwork on the covers of volume one and two and I am now sorry that I did not take a crack at either of the original paintings for the book covers when they were offered for sale. If anyone knows where they are or knows if there are copies available I'd be interested in their purchase.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file