Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

To crossover, or not crossover...

If you're building a master player set, and have some cards that were previously graded by another top vendor (mainly because PSA didn't grade this series at the time), would you concede the grade to possibly accepting one, two, or more grades lower, for the sake of having it crossover to PSA, just for the sake of adding it to your set registry, OR would you seek out another card, and just leave the previously graded one alone (or possibly sell it)?

Comments

• Options
    Crack it out and send it to PSA. I bought an SGC 98, cracked it out, and sent it to PSA - it came back a PSA 10! Results will vary, but I've had pretty good success with cracking out high grade SGC cards and submitting them to PSA. I can't say that I've ever been really surprised by a lower or higher grade when doing this, but I know others can share stories that are not as positive. I can't say anything about doing this with GAI graded cards, but from what I've heard, you may be disappointed, especially if your card has recently been graded by GAI and has a half grade - i.e. 8.5 or 9.5.

JEB.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, JEB. The thing that prompted my question was this: I sent several cards that were previously graded by SGC, STILL IN THE HOLDER, into PSA for crossover. I got a mixed result. Some crossed over at the same grade (which i had specified on the form), but others did NOT cross over, and they never tell you why. Sometimes i think maybe they're just too lazy to want to crack them all out of the current holders, so they mark them "M/G" and send them back. The reason i'm reluctant to crack them out of the present holder is two-fold: 1) i might damage them in the process, and 2) it could backfire, and i get a LOWER grade; at least by having them in the old company's holder, i still preserve the integrity of THEIR grade....BUT, the card can't be entered into the set registry. *sigh*
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    u gotta crack......sgc is a lil more dificult then psa to break. but it can be done.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    you will almost always receive better results if you send them in without the bias of another companies opinion. However,you also take three inherent risks:

1) many more cards submitted to PSA are considered trimmed even if they are not!

2) The grading service themselves may mishandle and thus downgrade the card(s). It's happened-believe me~

3) The cards come back a grade or two lower for unknown real reasons.

You could also get them back in the same or a higher grade and that would be a good thing...............

raw is best! many on here can tell you in detail how to crack ANY type of holder from ANY company*

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I think SGC's holders are the easiest of all the companies to crack, with the least possible chance of damaging the card. You don't even need to break off any plastic to crack their holders, they come right apart around the edges with a small screwdriver in 1-2 minutes.

• Options
    wildcat05wildcat05 Posts: 63
    edited May 11, 2017 6:04PM
    nice card
  • Options

<< <i>you will almost always receive better results if you send them in without the bias of another companies opinion. However,you also take three inherent risks:

1) many more cards submitted to PSA are considered trimmed even if they are not!

2) The grading service themselves may mishandle and thus downgrade the card(s). It's happened-believe me~

3) The cards come back a grade or two lower for unknown real reasons. >>

4) You wreck the card yourself while breaking it out of the slab. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>you will almost always receive better results if you send them in without the bias of another companies opinion. However,you also take three inherent risks:

3) The cards come back a grade or two lower for unknown real reasons. >>

4) You wreck the card yourself while breaking it out of the slab. image >>

I hope it was a chaepie!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    Also remember that it is often more difficult to get a good look at the card in the holder. Anybodies holder. No self respecting grader will give you benefit of the doubt if they can't get a good look at what there concerned about. Therefore, you will get the M/G if there is any doubt. I think the way you have done it, while more expensive, provides the least risk. Some have crossed with no risk. I would crack the rest and send 'em in. I suspect that at least have of what is left will stay the same grade. Just make sure that you are comfortable with the centering as some companies are not as strict as PSA.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    I would never switch my SGC's for a master set or set registry. I bought based on the cards themselves and am very satisfied with their grading, I would say equal to PSA or better in some cases. That being said, the whole business reason for PSA to set up the registry was I am sure to get you to think about doing that very thing to which you speak.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    Anyone who would crack out an SGC graded card and try to submit it to a different company is out of their mind......imho
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone who would crack out an SGC graded card and try to submit it to a different company is out of their mind......imho >>

I've done it several times and sold the PSA graded card for multiples of what I paid for the SGC graded card. I've also done it to get a card that I want for my collection into a PSA holder. SGC doesn't do it for me, not that PSA necessarily does, but with PSA I have a great Set Registry and the liquidity if I wish to sell!

Maybe I am "out of my mind"! image

JEB.
  • Options
    Just crack and submit.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes i think maybe they're just too lazy to want to crack them all out of the current holders, so they mark them "M/G" and send them back. >>

I don't think they're too lazy to crack the case. Somebody else does that with crossovers, not the grader. As Fuzz said, if the grader can't be sure from a few seconds of examining it in the case, they'll slap the dreaded "M/G" on it. Because a few seconds is all the time they have (especially during specials and other high-volume periods) and once they crack the case, they have no choice but to cross at your requested grade. What if they open the SGC slab and THEN discover something bad like a surface wrinkle that SGC missed or didn't care about? So they have to be damn sure, and I'd guess they are reluctant to take that gamble unless it is a clear winner.

That said, I do suspect PSA of tending to dismiss another company's grades as a business strategy, especially if that company is GAI. If true, this really sucks because crossover is a service they sell, and you don't get your money back if you are silly enough to submit a card in a GAI holder. Most of us know by now that this is the equivalent of flushing $8 to $35 down the toilet, depending on the card. But it's kinda hard on folks who don't know how the system works.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

This 55 Spahn has 3 mint corners and 1 nmnt one (imo)

Im hoping it crosses to an 8, but would settle for a 7.

My ultimate goal is to have all the HOF's slabbed and the rest raw.

I do though however have just south of 20% of the set graded and need just Monte Irvin holdered. The example I do own is ex/mnt so I will prolly wait until the fort wash show and have PSA grade it then.

I will of course crack the Spahn out and submit it raw.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Nice card, Steve. The eye appeal should work in your favor at PSA. Looks like an 8 to me.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."