Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA set registry: like a long-term investment?

Seems to me that having a "master player" set registry is kind of a two-edged sword. On one hand, it offers the challenge and opportunity to build the best possible set of the player(s) of your choice, but looking at the long-term scenario, when you (or a loved one) decides to sell the set, i'm wondering: Would it be best to try and sell the ENTIRE set, and hope there's someone rich enough out there to buy it up, or dis-mantle (no pun intended) it one by one, the same way it was put together, which could be a long and painstaking process? In other words, would it be more of a sales incentive to offer "the number one master player set on the PSA set registry" of some player, or just remove it from the registry, and sell it off one by one?

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same question can be applied to complete year sets, for example, 1978 Topps. I am not experienced enough to know the answers, I look forward to the feedback however image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I'd have to say no, it's not a good investment unless you are in the high end. Especially with post-1972 sets (except 1975, of course image). There is just too much material out there. I never seem to find it, but I'm told there are loads of good raw stuff out there for almost anything from the past 30 years or so. I don't think the popularity of the registry will grow to keep pace with populations. When I go to card shows, I think I've only met two or three people who were aware of the registry, and only one person who participates. When I tell them about it, they can't imagine spending $6 or whatever to get a common card slabbed, and if they can, they'd be sure it would be gem. And the other part is that if they can grasp it, and they want to get into it, there's the financial aspect. I would think that if someone is gong to put thousands into buying a graded set in one shot, they'd probably have the finances to get something of a bluish chip tint. I can't imagine someone scrimping and saving and wheeling and dealing just to have enough to buy a PSA 9 1981 Topps set. If it was me, and I was going to drop $5K on a set, I'd prefer to get a good start on a 1961 set or something like that. Similarly, having the #1 set of some player is all well and good, but it would certainly be better, if obvious, to collect Mickey Mantle than Fred Lynn. Of course, it's almost impossible for a new #1 Mickey Mantle set to appear, but that doesn't make Fred Lynn a more attractive alternative.

Thinking about it a bit more, maybe compiling a first-rate player set could be financially profitable if it's the right player. There are those niche players who have a strong following in the hobby but not necessarilly high prices. An all-PSA-10 Jim Rice set, for example (that would be tough), or a elite level Mike Mussina or Will Clark set. In certain cases, I could imagine the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options

<< <i>...An all-PSA-10 Jim Rice set, for example (that would be tough)... >>

I'm workin' on it! image

JEB.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't think the popularity of the registry will grow to keep pace with populations. >>

Ok, but if that is true, then the populations of only stars and rookies will rise and 80% of sets will stay relatively low in pop. Afterall, if the registry is not liked by the masses, then the cards won't be slabbed by the masses....image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Unless the cards are of deceased (wont cause trouble to ruin the value of their cards)-Hall of famers (proven great and already enshrined),master sets are not a good "investment". You compile them because you love the player and the cards! When,or if you sell them you hope to find someone else with the same affection. Think of it this way- ( I know about this all too well because I owned a jewelry store and made custom jewelry for almost 20 years).
    If you buy a braclet with diamond & ruby stones all the way around it that form the name "Carmen Fanzone" (utility player for the Cubbies in the 70's) and you love it for a few years but then get tired of it and want to sell it,who will you sell it to? Someone who really likes Carmen Fanzone of course and that won't be a lot of takers! Point is,the market for modern player sets is small.Only a hand full of people may enjoy the player you love and the set you compile if it is not a proven hero. Do it because you enjoy it not because it is an investment. There are a lot better set choices for possible investment sense than "most' player sets~ just my thought on it.

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I agree with Marz on this one. My Master set is strictly for the thrill of the chase and admiration of the player. I would expect to lose money if I sold the set.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options

<< <i>who will you sell it to? Someone who really likes Carmen Fanzone of course and that won't be a lot of takers!

image >>

Good point, but the one or two Carmen fans out there might pay through the roof.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Most baseball cards are not great long-term investments. There are exceptions - and there are ebbs and flows in the market for sure.

But, at a 7% return, you would have to double the value of your cards every decade. Some have done that - but not many. I can make a better return than that on the market, number one, and number two, I just don't see a 1952 Topps PSA 8 set being worth $700k in 2014.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    collect for fun, the dollars will follow..............
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    It has been said many times that if you are looking for an "investment", look elsewhere. Having said that, I collect solely for the fun and nostalgia of it all, but it is nice to have graded cards that allow you a certain amount of liquidity - even if it's less than you paid, you can usually cash out if you really need the money for something else (like another set!).
  • Options

<< <i>Most baseball cards are not great long-term investments. There are exceptions - and there are ebbs and flows in the market for sure.

But, at a 7% return, you would have to double the value of your cards every decade. Some have done that - but not many. I can make a better return than that on the market, number one, and number two, I just don't see a 1952 Topps PSA 8 set being worth $700k in 2014.

Your 55 Bowman set is.....end of period. I mean story! that thing is great!
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    I am trying to put together a 2000 Gallery Players Private Issue set. I understand that there are tons of newer cards out there, but there can only be 250 of these sets. Topps made only 37,500 cards total (150 x 250). I mean rarity has to count for something, right? I have been semi-actively collecting this set for the last four years, and they are getting HARD to find! As of now, I still need 85 more.
    My goal is to get this set done and in the registry, I sent 6 to PSA and got back 5 10's and 1 9, so I'm off to a good start.
    Lou
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options

<< <i>I am trying to put together a 2000 Gallery Players Private Issue set. I understand that there are tons of newer cards out there, but there can only be 250 of these sets. Topps made only 37,500 cards total (150 x 250). I mean rarity has to count for something, right? I have been semi-actively collecting this set for the last four years, and they are getting HARD to find! As of now, I still need 85 more.
    My goal is to get this set done and in the registry, I sent 6 to PSA and got back 5 10's and 1 9, so I'm off to a good start.
    Lou >>

Cool set Lou.

As with anything in cards. Collect for enjoyment and the love of the game. Investing is cool and all but a certain overzealous segment of it is really killing off the hobby slowly for the almighty dollar.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I sort of like the way that the hobby is going now. It seems to be coming full circle. I think more and more people are collecting because they enjoy it and for no other reason. Evidence of that is mass grading that is going on right now for late 80's cards from some big dealers. Nobody in their right mind would think that a 1988 Donruss Nolan Ryan PSA 9 (for example) has any chance of going up in value within the next 20 years, but there are people buying stuff like that. Great thing about cards like that is for a couple bucks you get a Mint Hall of Famer in a fancy holder. I think for the most part, the investors have left the card world and most all of the dealers who are only in it for the money have left also. That's great in my book. Now we can get back to the basic fun of it all without having to get a second mortgage for the lastest gimmick craze.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been collecting just for the fun of it. Just to pass the time, and to enjoy the thrill of collecting. Thats why it's great to work on a master set of over 2500+ cards or more, you'll always find something to add to the set.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>collect for fun, the dollars will follow.............. >>

FUN?? WHO HERE IS HAVING FUN??? this is an OBSESSION!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to me that having a "master player" set registry is kind of a two-edged sword. On one hand, it offers the challenge and opportunity to build the best possible set of the player(s) of your choice, but looking at the long-term scenario, when you (or a loved one) decides to sell the set, i'm wondering: Would it be best to try and sell the ENTIRE set, and hope there's someone rich enough out there to buy it up, or dis-mantle (no pun intended) it one by one, the same way it was put together, which could be a long and painstaking process? In other words, would it be more of a sales incentive to offer "the number one master player set on the PSA set registry" of some player, or just remove it from the registry, and sell it off one by one? >>

I just sold my Al Kaline set, and I know I didn't build it as a long-term investment or with any thought to future value. I built it because I grew up in Detroit and Ohio listening to the Tigers on WJR and going to Tiger Stadium once or twice a year and reading about them as much as I could.

You have to understand this... my big baseball card collecting years were 1973-1975, with a good helping of 1972s and some older ones that I just kind of kept separate and didn't know what to do with, because I didn't know those players. My biggest childhood collection was 1974 Topps, and I had a boatload of them. I still like them, and have a nice raw set I bought on eBay back when times were good. But the ones I collected at the age of 11 are mostly gone long ago, and mostly in a big lot I sold to some guy during a party at my house in 1987 for $20. I did manage the sanity to ask for a few special cards to pull out of the box (it was a nice Topps locker box that I bought with some pack wrappers and S&H back in '74 or so) before he took the treasure I had carried with me throughout my adolescence. One of them was a '75 Brett which I sold for $75 about 5 years ago, so I guess I didn't get totally screwed. image

That's kind of why I decided to start getting some of those cards back, along with some I never had but I thought were really cool, once I had some money to spend. I didn't do it to make money, and I don't know if I made money or lost money on the Kalines I just sold. I kept track of the prices I paid for them when I first started buying them, but that was a computer and 3 hard drives ago, and I don't do backups much.