"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Matt
    This one is my favorite!

Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mike, Matt - nice. You think PSA would grade them?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>Mike, Matt - nice. You think PSA would grade them? >>

Four sharp corners, great registration, great borders....hmmmm....PSA 10 baby!!!!!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, Matt - nice. You think PSA would grade them? >>

Four sharp corners, great registration, great borders....hmmmm....PSA 10 baby!!!!!

image >>

I notice that Matt's are the unseparated two card panel version - any premium there ya think?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    LOL. you guys. image

first and last time I use that photo hosting site.image

Hopefully you can now see these:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Matt
    Matt - UK based collector
  • Options
    Very very nice, Matt. I like that Sweet Crop card, it looks very Allen & Ginter-ish (of course, y'all probably think our Allen & Ginter's are very Sweet Crop-ish)....

Enid Bennett - image

She is some dish!!! Wow!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

Fun cards Matt. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
  • Options
    Hey Matt
    Glad you them on board! The Japanese ambassadore to GB is a cool card - made me think of the movie the Last Samurai - do you have the set?
    thanx for sharing
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Hi,

Mark,
    Allen & Ginters are very similar to the Cohen & Wheenan Sweet crop. I often buy cards because of the design of the back over what is on the front.

Keith,
    Thanks.

Mike,
    The Lambert Japanese series is one I am trying to put together. I have only 8 at the moment. There is no Billy Connelly or Tom Cruise card though.

Here are a few more:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Matt
  • Options
    Thanks Matt - keep 'em coming!

You mentioned a japanese set. I picked up a set at a flea market off Picadilly about 10 years ago, and I've recently seen some examples of these cards on the 'bay. One seller indicated that they were an exact copy of a british soccer set, only with japanese on the back and that the players faces on the fronts had been "japanese-ized". The date on my set was placed at 1934. Can you tell me more?

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    I just picked this set up a while back as an offshoot to the movie cards. Its similar to my Mitchell Gallery of 1935 set, but is Godfrey Phillips In The Public Eye. Its a pretty neat set of 54 cards that include politicians, cricket players, boxers, golfers, actors, tennis players, horse racing people, soccer players and pilots. I mainly got it for the Churchill card, but as probably 80% of them might get 8's or better, I very well may send some in for grading.

Keep posting your cards guys. Im learning quite a bit from this and am really enjoying seeing what all is out there.

Interesting soccer set Mark.
  • Options
    Matt
    Thanx! Really cool. I like the recruiting poster card! Reminds me of "over there..." Did you read the card on the guy who won the Victoria Cross? Great stuff!

Mark
    Can't read the back...it all "Chinese" to me! image Those are nice cards - do ya get bargains at those markets? California is known for some really big flea markets. So, you think there is an English version of the set?

Keith
    I like the Churchill also - on my monitor the bottom of the card is chopped slightly and there is a big space...are there cards under the churchill?
    Thanx for posting guys
    very entertaining!
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike - There are three cards in a second row (Jim Braddock, Harold Larwood, and J. Ramsay Macdonald). Does anyone else see those three?

Its interesting reading on the backs. Ill try to post some of the backs later tonight.
  • Options
    Hi,

Keith,

I can see the other cards. The Public Eye set has a great collection of celebs from the 30's and is very undervalued in my opinion.

Mike,

The VC Heroes set is a personal favourite of mine. My Great Grandfathers Brother was one of only 3 people to ever win the medal twice. There is a card of him in the 7th series of this set (8 series all together, 25 cards in each). I would pay well for any copies of his card. He is Capt. Noel Chavasse. If anyone has any, let me know.

Mark,

The Original version of your Chinese footballers is the John Players & Sons 'Hints On Association Football' from 1934 (set of 50).

Here are some more scans:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

The last one is a German card from the 1930's. The series is entitled German Uniforms.

Matt
  • Options
    And here are a few sport related ones:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>I would pay well for any copies of his card >>

Matt
    If I had the card, it would be my privilege to give it to you.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Matt - I really like those Famous Knockouts cards - how were they issued? How many in a set? What are they actually called. They are really quite cool. Thanks!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Matt,

Im guessing you might have already seen the card of your relative.

But if not, here's a Victoria Cross site that has pictures of each card. You just click the 7th series to see your card.

Victoria Cross Pictures

edited to fix link
  • Options
    Keith,

thanks for that link, I had not seen that site before. My Dad has a copy of the card that has been in the family for years but it is in very poor condition. I am looking for several gradeable copies for myself and a few other family members.

Mike,

thanks for the thought.

Mark,

The set is called Famous Knock-Outs and has 11 cards in the set. It was issues in a weekly periodical called 'The Rocket' in 1923. The cards came one per week for the first 11 issues. Here is the only other one I have:

imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you Matt. I can't tell you how hypnotized I am by that Knock-outs set. Tell me about the card stock - is it thin or thick, glossy or dull?
    Looks like they're fairly tough to find - true?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Are there "Victoria Cross Heroes" for WWII?

Thanks

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options

<< <i>Are there "Victoria Cross Heroes" for WWII?

Thanks

Skip >>

Hi Skip
    The set is turn of the century 1910's - so I would say it was for gallantry during WWI and around that time. Just a guess - I have seen a set that is from the WWII period also...tho.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Skip
    The set is turn of the century 1910's - so I would say it was for gallantry during WWI and around that time. Just a guess - I have seen a set that is from the WWII period also...tho.
    your friend
    Mike >>

Hi Mike:

Thanks....yes, I see that the card posted is from WWI....but I'm aso interested in WWII VC winners..in particular "Smokey" Smith.

Still with the VC cards, are these GB winners only or do they include British Commonwealth recipients too?

Back to WWI..anyone seen a card for Col. John McCrae..author of "In Flanders Field"??

Thanks again Mike.

Skip

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Mark,

Yes they are hard to find. They are in the book at £8 each ($15), I paid £10 ($19) for the 2 I have a while back but have not seen any more since. They measure 6.9 x 4.3 cms, so they are an odd size. They have a glossy finish and look similar to the 'Real Photograph' cards you can get from this period. The card stock is very slightly thicker than other tobacco cards of this period. It is a very nice set, I am sure there are boxing enthusiasts that would be all over this if they knew it existed.image

Skip,

I have not come across a specific set of WW2 VC heroes but there was a set called History of the VC issues by Doncella Cigars in 1980. This may have WW2 related stuff in.
    The Gallaher WW1 VC Heroes set does include VC winners from all over the Commonwealth.

There may well be a card for McCrae somewhere, there are many sets from this period that have Celebrities and War heros in them.

Was Smokey Smith a relative or friend? My Grandfather also fought all the way up Italy in 1943-44.

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>Skip,

I have not come across a specific set of WW2 VC heroes but there was a set called History of the VC issues by Doncella Cigars in 1980. This may have WW2 related stuff in.
    The Gallaher WW1 VC Heroes set does include VC winners from all over the Commonwealth.

There may well be a card for McCrae somewhere, there are many sets from this period that have Celebrities and War heros in them.

Was Smokey Smith a relative or friend? My Grandfather also fought all the way up Italy in 1943-44.

Matt >>

Matt:
    No, "Smokey" Smith is not a relative..he's from my hometown and when I was a kid that's all we heard about. I've had the pleasure of meeting him on a number of occassions.. usually Rememberance Day. He is still alive, and is Canada's last remaining VC winner.

Col. John McCrae's "Flanders Field" was a poem I learned at a very young age, and always had to recite during Rememberance Day services. Even now, all those years later, I think of it....and I have a poppy on the shelf above my desk for eternal remberance for the men and women who have sacrificed to give us what we have.

I've always felt that a person should try and learn something new each day..be it a word, a fact or stat....just something to increase one's knowledge. During my 60+ years I've done pretty well with that.
    But I must say that you guys are helping out tremendously. So to Matt, Mike, Mark, Keith and the rest of you guys....Thanks..thanks for showing us your cards and sharing the information and stories behind them. I for one greatly appreciate the time and effort that you put into it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you, and your families.

Skip

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Skip,

thanks and Merry Christmas to you as well and everybody else reading and contributing here.

Mark,

Would you believe it. Today I walked into the Card Dealers shop below me in the shopping centre and he has just got 7 more of the Famous Knock Out cards in with a large lot from an auction. I quickly secured them for a good price. I now have a duplicate of the #7 card and will send you a PM about it.

Here is another card from the set you might find interesting.

imageimage

Matt
  • Options
    Mark,

Nearly forgot.

Here is a scan of the British version of the Chinese cards you posted earlier.

imageimage

Matt
  • Options
    Man, look at the size of that crowd at that Dempsey fight.
  • Options
    Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
  • Options
    VT - Where and what is that building? Quite the architectural monstrosity.

I think I might have seen a couple of cards like this recently, but had no idea of the year.
  • Options
    If memory serves me correctly, its the War & Defense Dept, Washington DC 1890s

Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
  • Options
    Matt - thanks for posting the English version of those soccor cards. I had understood that the two sets were the same, except that the artwork for the Japanese set was changed a bit:

Here's yours and mine side by side:

imageimage
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Matt - thanks very much for this card - I just got it today:

I would like to get some more; you got me hooked!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Matt and the rest of you,

My upcoming auction has some of the cards from the sets listed here. We actually have a couple of NM and better sets of the one's with Tennis, golf, etc.. in a lot.
    We also have several british and irish cards, similar to those in the photos here. The lot that we've got has a Jesse Owens card that I've never seen before.
    If you are interested in our catalog, I can either mail one to you, or you can visit our site at register and bid right online at:

www.hugginsandscott.com

All lots will be available for viewing and bidding on Jan. 15th and catalogs will mail on Jan. 19th.

Thanks and give us a call if you have any questions.
    Josh Wulkan
    Huggins and Scott Auctions
    1-866-462-2273