Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about a Byzantine coin....

The one I have as my avatar. Can anyone tell me what specific era it is from or provide a resource to research it? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I have always been curious about your icon, Cake. Where did you find it?
  • Options
    You can start with Widlwinds. It contains a thorough section on Byzantine coins.
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    That coin was actually issued by some cursed pagen religion.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Cosmic,

Only if it predates Constantine (i.e., before Christianity was accepted in the Roman Empire). Otherwise, it's Christian. Based on the cross and the symbolism, I have a feeling it's the latter.
  • Options

<< <i>You can start with Widlwinds. It contains a thorough section on Byzantine coins. >>

Philip,

Excellent resource! Thank you!
  • Options
    Only if it predates Constantine (i.e., before Christianity was accepted in the Roman Empire).

Based on a study of Byantine history it could be argued that Byzantium never really accepted Christianity. All Richard III ever did was drown a brother in a vat of wine, murder two nephews and usurp the throne and Shakespear puts out a whole play about him. In Constantinople they'd have called him "candyass."image
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    The one I have as my avatar. Can anyone tell me what specific era it is from or provide a resource to research it? Thank you!

It looks a lot like the reverse of a gold solidus of Constantine VII (913-959). The obverse would be a bust of Christ.

Sear # 1747

"It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options

<< <i>Based on a study of Byantine history it could be argued that Byzantium never really accepted Christianity. >>

Perhaps, but not effectively and not based on what is known of recorded history. In fact, I've never previously heard of such an extreme historical contrivance. General timeline

<< <i>It looks a lot like the reverse of a gold solidus of Constantine VII (913-959). The obverse would be a bust of Christ. >>

Agreed!
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Assertions such as Alan's make the study of history interesting.