Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thinking of selling 1960 Topps Baseball #4 All Time Finest Set

Hello, I'm thinking about possibly selling my #4 All Time Finest set, I was just curious if there are any fellow registry members who would have a serious interest. It has a set rating of 8.05 with close to 50 Psa 9's and most of the really tough Psa 8's. I've had one offer on it but i was not wowed by it, I won't let it go super cheap just to move it. I went thru and trying to be conservative i came up with a break up value of over $32,000.00. I know E bay is a crap shoot but i believe it would break to at least that for the 1960's toughest set. That being said it would be a tremendous amount of work scanning and listing a 572 card set individually. if there is anyone interested in making an offer my e mail is listed with my set "The Burnett Collection" thank you. Phil

Comments

• Options
    Phil, as someone who watched you piece this thing together, and celebrate when you broke that 8.01 mark, just wondering why you're selling? Way out of my price range, and a true quality set. Most people don't realize the difficulty that lies hidden in the '60 set. Best of luck in the sale, but I'd love to see you keep it too!!

Chris
  • Options
    Chris, I don't want to sell, but i'm having some job and financial issues that may leave me no choice. I'm just kind of curious what some of the senior board members would consider a fair price on a set like this. take care and good luck on you're set as well. Phil
  • Options
    Phil,

I'd be sorry to see you sell, but I can offer some pricing info. I have tracked the 1960 set for the past 2 years. Here is what I come up with, based on the average sell price of every card in the set:

PSA 8 SMR - $22,290
    My PSA 8 value - $25,454

PSA 9 SMR - $102,310
    I don't have sufficient data to substantiate or refute the validity of SMR for PSA 9s.

With 50 PSA 9s, I can extrapolate and offer this (using SMR pricing for PSA 9s, which is generally low):

SMR - $29,285
    My estimate - $32,172

Conclusion:

Your pricing is right on, or even a little low (considering I used SMR to price the 50 PSA 9s). If you want to sell this set complete, ebay is probably not the best avenue. Try Mastro. Otherwise, you'll do fairly well by breaking it up on ebay, but probably come up a little short of $32,000.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

JEB.
  • Options
    Phil,I can't believe your considering selling your set.I know how hard some of the cards are to get even in an eight.One of the auction houses would likely cut you a deal on commision.You could put an opening bid just above 20k.If you decide to keep the set and want to sell a quantity of them. I need a book of 6k to 8k of what you have if that would interest you I have the cash for around fifty of them of the set and you could build it back where it is later.Tony
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I tracked the '60 set over the last year in PSA 8 condition. It seems like PSA 8's on ebay have not been getting strong money lately. I think all of the top 5 or 6 people building sets are close or done with their sets. A auction house might be your best bet. They should be happy to consign your set and would reduce your fee.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Phil...

You have an impressive set and I am sorry to hear that you may have to sell it. We can all relate that sometimes life gets in the way of things we love, such as this beautiful '60 set. I think JEB has some very good info on the set in his earlier post. Trying to sell such a high quality set and get value for it is going to be tough. There are not too many folks out there with the disposable cash to pay for something like this....but there are some that can and will. Hopefully, if you decide to sell, it will work out fairly to you. Good luck!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    You could always put it on ebay with a minimum bid of $32,000 (or whatever you want for it) and see if anyone bites. Insertion fee for that amount is something like $5 (I think its just a flat $5 for any amount over something like $1000)
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for you're responses on this subject. Tony as far as what you are looking for i will listen to any offers that you may have and will consider selling a group or singles. I just wrote an e mail to the gentleman who made me a previous offer on the set, we were a few thousand apart on a price at the time. obviously moving it complete would be a much easier though probably not as profitable a task. Jeb thanks for you're input, i've been engrossed in this set and e bay for 3+ years and i believe you're figures are very close. Don thanks for you're kind words and good luck on you're set as well. as i mentioned earlier i will listen to offers on individual or groups or complete, i plan to review and then make a decision which way to go. it still kind of blows my mind sometimes to think a guy like Jim Rivera would go for more in an 8 than any hall of famer in this set except the Mantle 350 card, wow who would have thought. take care and Merry Christmas to all. Phil
  • Options
    Phil,Email me at am4ucla@sbcglobal.net lets talk.Thanks,Tony
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Phil -- As one who has sold large $, complete sets on eBay, let me offer the following advice . . . First try to sell it "offline". If you can get to within $1,000 or so of what you want, it's really a wash based upon selling fees and the time commitment to make the listing. If you don't, then list it on a fixed-price format with BIN for 10 days. With a bold listing and 12 photos, the price is something like $7. A reserve auction or a high opening bid auction will cost you substantially more to list it.

If you sell it on eBay, don't take PayPay. My 1934 Goudey set was paid via wire transfer into my bank account. I paid the $15 that the buyer's bank charged him and had my funds instantly with no hold. Scan the superstars and the rarest commons for the listing. Provide a couple paragraphs of "story" to justify the value. Those guys at MastroNet don't hold the license on doing that. Also, justify the price with documentable realized sale prices.

If you can't get your price or close to it, then go through the trouble of breaking it up. Start first by contacting the top Registry set owner who needs individual cards and then work your way down the food chain. You should know who most of the players are in the 1960 Topps world. I sold almost all of my 1951 Bowman set this way and had to list very few cards on eBay.

Best wishes on your sale.
  • Options

<< <i>...A reserve auction or a high opening bid auction will cost you substantially more to list it... >>

A reserve will, but a high opening bid will not. Here are the options for listing something like this:

Listing it with a $32,000 minimum bid would only cost $4.80.

Listing it with a minimum bid and a BIN of $32,000 would only cost $4.85.

Listing it with a $32,000 reserve and a lower minimum bid would cost $100 + listing fee (up to $4.80).

JEB.
  • Options
    I sit corrected.
  • Options

<< <i>I sit corrected. >>

offline is best. E-bay this time of year has got to be tough on baseball as well!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    Well it's started i've made a few sales and dropped from #4 to 8 so far, anyone who wants to inquire about cards from the set is welcome to view my 1960 set under The Burnett Collection and see if there's anything you could use.thanks to a couple of great guys named Greg and Dennis i have made a good splash on selling off some of the cards. and Tony is a first class guy to work with as well , i'm holding about 30 cards for him as well. hopefully soon he'll start adding the 8's he has onto his set and we'll get to see just how awesome a set he has. thanks again to all of you for you're help and advice. Phil
  • Options
    Phil -- Have you contacted Jim Crandell yet? You have several cards that he needs and he's as good as gold as a buyer. PM me if you want his e-mail.
  • Options
    Thanks David, I received an e mail from him yesterday and we have agreed on a group of cards for his set. I had never written or spoken to him before but he seemed to be a very nice guy. and he sure does have some awesome cards in his collection. thanks again Phil