Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Ralston Purina not graded, Why?

I keep hearing that PSA no longer grades these. Has anyone ever heard the reasoning behind it? I have my set at 87%, and have a few that need upgrading. I have plenty of raw, and sure I could complete my set in the 9.75 range if I could still get them graded. o I need to roll over to SGC, and do a set there?

I'm just confused on why they won't grade these, are they not worthy of a PSA flip? I see may other cards that are just as worthless being graded and sold on ebay.

Comments

• Options
    I believe that they don't grade them because they were not liscensed by MLB. I don't think PSA now grades anything that was not MLB liscensed. Not sure when that changed. Your only hope for completing the set in PSA form is to find already graded cards. My guess is that it may be impossible to complete because all of the different cards were probably not graded before they stopped grading them.

Mike
  • Options

Off to SGC
  • Options
    I would shot PSA an email to confirm before heading off to SGC. But, I think that is where you are going to be heading in the end.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    That's not the reason - although it isn't abundantly clear what the actual reason is. PSA does grade the Milton Bradley issues, for instance, and those are not licensed by MLB.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I saw youre set and was wondering what is this guy gonna do. I sent in one 2 1/2 months ago and they rejected it. SO what are you going to do? You build a set they start a registry and then leave you hanging.

James
    x
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    The Ralston Purina issue is licensed fully. It was produced by Topps. It is legit in every manner. But apparently these were isssued as sheets and cards. PSA must assume that too many that are around today are sheet-cut copies so they won't grade them. (Why anyone would want to go to the expense of cutting them down is another question.) This is just my educated guess. Remember, it was 1984 and Topps also did the Nestlé set in sheet form and PSA no longer grades those.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I totally was looking at my RP cards this past Thanksgiving when I went home, so funny this thread pops up.

Tom Seaver has a gut in his card, I even think I recall a Pedro Guerrero card? I grew up collecting primarily in 80s so this set was full of sweet memories baby!

I remember collecting this set and hoping it would one day be like the 54 Red Heart series, oh well.

Julen

RIP GURU
  • Options
    TOpps 5 reasons

5 Joe O said so.

4. SO you cant finish your registry sets.

3 To keep the message board going with more topics.

2 It is a even numbered month.

1. It is a ploy to drive up prices on already graded copies...Boggs PSA 9 100.00 image
    x
  • Options
    "It is a ploy to drive up prices on already graded copies...Boggs PSA 9 100.00"

What would my 1 of 1 10 Boggs go for? Or any of these 1 pop 10s - Murray Winfield, Rice, Murphy. OR 1 of 3 Nolan Ryan 10, or the many other 9s that are none higher 1 pops. Even some of 8s are 1 pop non higher.

As far as sheet cut cards, they issued uncut sheets of almost all cards, not just Ralstons. This is simply an unacceptable chicken S**T answer, if thats the reason they give. As is the license issue, the set has full logos no airbrushing, so it appears licensed. Both of these can not be the reason, as many cards that are currently being graded with the same issues.

This really ticks me off. Sure if they never grade anymore of these, some of them are worth some good cash to player collectors. I wanted to complete the set, I have plenty of raw (over 5000 total) and I'm sure I'd be able to get almost all tens for the set. I'm gonna drop a line to SGC and see if they grade them, and start a set over there. If I get a good start, I'll sell of my PSAs to player set collectors.
  • Options
    Yep I picked mine up on ebay for 4.99 Not bad. I am intrested in the Boggs 10. Sorry to hear the news. Good luck getting all 98's or 100's

James
    x
  • Options
    see if PSA will guarantee them and buy them back from you... if they leave you hanging like that, they should reasonablly "collect" any that were already done to take it back to zero. Seems rasonable to me at least.
  • Options
    PSA wouldn't give me what I could get for them from player collectors. Most of these are low pop.

emailed Customer service yesterday, and still haven't heard back.
  • Options

<< <i>"It is a ploy to drive up prices on already graded copies...Boggs PSA 9 100.00"

What would my 1 of 1 10 Boggs go for? Or any of these 1 pop 10s - Murray Winfield, Rice, Murphy. OR 1 of 3 Nolan Ryan 10, or the many other 9s that are none higher 1 pops. Even some of 8s are 1 pop non higher.

As far as sheet cut cards, they issued uncut sheets of almost all cards, not just Ralstons. This is simply an unacceptable chicken S**T answer, if thats the reason they give. As is the license issue, the set has full logos no airbrushing, so it appears licensed. Both of these can not be the reason, as many cards that are currently being graded with the same issues.

This really ticks me off. Sure if they never grade anymore of these, some of them are worth some good cash to player collectors. I wanted to complete the set, I have plenty of raw (over 5000 total) and I'm sure I'd be able to get almost all tens for the set. I'm gonna drop a line to SGC and see if they grade them, and start a set over there. If I get a good start, I'll sell of my PSAs to player set collectors. >>

I'll take the Eddie Murray in a heartbeat. Email me please click here
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    Ridiculous.
    I see no difference from the 84 Ralston and 84 Topps Cereal.

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The whole thing is ridiculous... PSA states right on their order form that they will grade nearly any issue that is cataloged in SCD or Beckett, which is a bunch of crap. I have been told they won't grade several cards I wanted to have graded, and they are all listed in the SCD (probably Beckett too, but I don't have one). They need to publish a list of what they will not grade. It would not be difficult to go through the SCD and Beckett set by set and make a determination on each set, and then post it on their site which ones they won't grade.

Between them raising prices by 50% starting in January, randomly deciding they won't grade certain issues that SGC or GAI would grade, trying to crack down on petty things like common submissions, and the absurd way that all orders must be divided by service level, separate postage for each level, and split up oversized and pins/coins into separate orders as well, PSA is really trying their best to push their small-time customers away it seems like.
  • Options
    PSA is really trying their best to push their small-time customers away it seems like.

I have been thinking that for awhile now. They much preffer big orders I think that is the reason they went back to memberships.

JAmes
    x
  • Options
    PSA never got back to me on why. I sent an email last week Don't know if I'll get answer on this one. I also asked in the same email about a PSA 10 Ralston Andre Dawson that I have. It's listed as a Topps Ceriel Series on the flip. I'd like to get it listed as a ralston so I can put it in my set (an upgrade from my 8). But if they don't grade Ralstons anymore, will they correct it?

Who knows, still eyeing SGC or GAI to finish a set. Probably go with SGC. Since these are for my collection and I'm not selling, I don't need the PSA premium for resale. I always liked SGC holder with the black insert.
  • Options

<< <i>PSA never got back to me on why. I sent an email last week. >>

PSA sweeps controversial issues under the table without explanation? never! it's not like they did that for WIWAG, the Magie disaster, and everything else image
  • Options
    I had a PSA graded "Cereal Series" card that I sent back on a later submission as a "mechanical error" to be corrected to "Ralston Purina". I received a call from a customer service representative who told me that they no longer grade the card and would have to remove it from the holder. They sent me a voucher for 1 submission and the card (previously holdered) in a card saver! image

JEB.
  • Options
    Thanks for tellingme JEB. I'll either keep or break it out myself to resubmit to SGC. All my tens in my set were submitted by me, and are very very nice, no tweeners. Should do well at SGC if I break them all out. Heck even my 9s are nice and tight 9s, maybe knocked up a grade at SGC.

Did anyone have any opinions about SGC or GAI? Maybe PRO image I've used SGC and liked them, never used GAI.

Hopefully me taking this set over to someone else, will wake Joe up. Losing such a high-end, high-profile set to another company would be a big hit to PSA image
  • Options

<< <i>I had a PSA graded "Cereal Series" card that I sent back on a later submission as a "mechanical error" to be corrected to "Ralston Purina". I received a call from a customer service representative who told me that they no longer grade the card and would have to remove it from the holder. They sent me a voucher for 1 submission and the card (previously holdered) in a card saver! >>

Jeb your too nice I would have told them it is my card. My holder I paid for it leave it ALONE!

James

"filp flop".......maybe they grade them again?..............lol
    x
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a PSA graded "Cereal Series" card that I sent back on a later submission as a "mechanical error" to be corrected to "Ralston Purina". I received a call from a customer service representative who told me that they no longer grade the card and would have to remove it from the holder. They sent me a voucher for 1 submission and the card (previously holdered) in a card saver! image

JEB. >>

That's *incredible*. I would have been furious if I had received this call. It wasn't their property to do with as they chose. It was your card.

Wow.
  • Options
    Jeb i would sue their sorry ass if they took MY card out of the holder without MY permission
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a PSA graded "Cereal Series" card that I sent back on a later submission as a "mechanical error" to be corrected to "Ralston Purina". I received a call from a customer service representative who told me that they no longer grade the card and would have to remove it from the holder. They sent me a voucher for 1 submission and the card (previously holdered) in a card saver! image

JEB. >>

image WTF?
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Jeb i would sue their sorry ass if they took MY card out of the holder without MY permission >>

I have retained the services of Vargha & Vargha to settle this for me ... We'll show them that they can't mess around with my $0.10 card and the $5.00 grading fee that I paid! I should be able to retire comfortably now! image

JEB.