Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What % Eliasberg gold coins are slabbed with Eliasberg pedigree?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am virtually obsessed with the notion of "making" an Eliasberg pedigreed gold coin, preferably a nice Dahlonega or New Orleans piece, but frankly, I would take about anything (that I could afford). Since the Eliasberg auction was held in the year 4 B.C. (1982--4 years Before Certification), obviously none of the gold coins were sold certified. Earlier this year, I helped Doug Winter attach the Parmalee-Woodin-Clapp-Clapp-Eliasberg pedigree to one of his inventory coins. Unfortunately for me, it was a coin that I could not readily afford. I will not rest until I can do it for myself. image

What percent of the Eliasberg gold coins are in pedigreed NGC and PCGS holder? I would WAG 5% or less.

Comments

• Options
    I tried to buy a half this year at auction like that (papers etc.), but it went for almost 4X Trends!! Oh, well.image I bet a lot of these coins that were pedigreed on the holder, aren't anymore so 5% is closer than you might guess.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    The Eliasberg gold coins were (first) graded long enough ago, such that a good number of them have probably since been re-submitted and up-graded. And, many sellers do NOT want the pedigree on the grading label of a coin which has up-graded.

That said, I still have no clue what % of the Eliasberg coins have the pedigree included on their grading labels.

I love the idea of owning a coin, the ownership of which can be traced back to the time of its production some 100+ or even 200+ years ago.image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    RYK-- for everyone's benefit (or at least mine), how did you go about documenting the pedigree? That's pretty interesting that you were able to do it for a gold coin expert. I would be interested in learning your technique.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RYK-- for everyone's benefit (or at least mine), how did you go about documenting the pedigree? That's pretty interesting that you were able to do it for a gold coin expert. I would be interested in learning your technique. >>

First, buy tons of auctions catalogs. Literally. Your collection should weigh at least 2000 pounds image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Eliasberg gold coins were (first) graded long enough ago, such that a good number of them have probably since been re-submitted and up-graded. And, many sellers do NOT want the pedigree on the grading label of a coin which has up-graded. >>

That's sad. I just got my first ex-Eliasberg coin (not gold) in September. It's an AU-58 which I really think would go at least 63 (if not 64) with the TPGs today. In fact, I think the main reason this coin went AU-58 is because Bowers and Merena conservatively described it as AU-58 in the 1996 auction (and it's in an older green label PCGS holder so I think it was submitted shortly after the sale). Had this been submitted without the Eliasberg pedigree, I think it gets a mint state grade -- even in 1996, and even more so today with market grading even more prevalent.

But there's no way I'm cracking this sucker out. It's an ex-Eliasberg PCGS AU-58 until the day I die. Beyond that, sadly, it's beyond my control.

<< <i>Unfortunately for me, it was a coin that I could not readily afford. >>

Can't afford it? Given the Dahlonega gold you own, Robert, I'm gasping for air if you can't afford it. image
  • Options
    And, many sellers do NOT want the pedigree on the grading label of a coin which has up-graded.

As a buyer, it certainly would not bother me. We all know that grading standards have changed, and some have suggested that many Eliasberg coins were undergraded (for the time) by B&M.

how did you go about documenting the pedigree?

I wish I could say that I did extensive research or that I have a photographic memory, but it was pure luck. Around the time Pinnacle posted a very rare (about four known) proof gold coin, I received the Eliasberg catalog in the mail. Knowing the coin was so rare and the collection had one, by a distinctive toning mark on the reverse, I was able to ID the coin.

Given the Dahlonega gold you own, Robert, I'm gasping for air if you can't afford it.

Proof gold--only four known--price tag close to $30,000--need I say more? That said, the coin was in the inventory for several months. I put together several trade-purchase proposals (all were acceptable), including one this week!, but alas, the coin is sold to another collector. I am relieved that I will no longer be tempted by it.
  • Options
    My biggest regret is selling my Eliasberg 1807 capped bust half eagle in 63! I am SURE that coin will reside in a 64 holder some day. If anyone knows where it is, please contact me. I would buy it back in a heart beat.
  • Options
    Bustman, you are giving me chest pain. image
  • Options
    RYK,
    What are you saying? Do you have my baby?image
  • Options
    The Eliasberg gold coins were (first) graded long enough ago, such that a good number of them have probably since been re-submitted and up-graded. And, many sellers do NOT want the pedigree on the grading label of a coin which has up-graded.

Today, I compared the recently graded 70-CC $5 VF-35 in my sig line with the picture of the Eliasberg 70-CC $5 VF-30. My how grading standards have changed. If the picture is accurate, the Eliasberg coin might grade AU-50 today. Given that we all recognize that grading standards have changed so much, I do not think buyers like myself would be so concerned.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert,

That is an interesting question. If you want to keep track, I know of one. A partner and I sold the 1859 PCGS Proof 65 3$ Eliasberg coin. There's one for you!!
    Of course, I dont know if it is in a holder anymore...
    I think that if you look hard enough and can be patient you will certainly find a specimen that you can make.

J
  • Options
    Coin Lt.
    A partner?? Don't tell me you teamed up with the snake, too?image
  • Options

I just found out about a coin that is currently in a PCGS-63 holder that was graded AU-55 at the Eliasberg sale in '82. I must admit, though the coin is really superb, the "upgrade" sure does take the wind out of my sails a bit more than I would have thought. image
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I really want an Eliasberg gold coin as well, one with a pic in the catalog. I found the 1907 $10 no motto, regular strike coin that was listed as MS65 obverse, MS67 reverse in the catalog. It was in an ancient NGC MS65 holder and priced about 1.25X the market. I tried to jump on it, but when I called it was sold. I was bummed. Even though it was a stretch for me financially, it would have made a real centerpiece in my type set. I would love another shot at that one. If Bowers graded it with an MS67 reverse, it must have been spectacular.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jesus!

No slabbing here!

Buying an Eliasberg gold coin can put a hole in your budget, errr coin!

Wouldn't this look grand on my pal's )(lordmarcovan) vest?

Constantine IX (A.D. 1042-1055). AV Histamenon Nomisma. Constantinople.
    4.41 grams, 25.60 mm. Obv Seated figure of Christ, facing, nimbus cruciger behind, holding the Book of Gospels, r. hand raised in benediction. Rev Facing crowned bust of Constantine IX, wearing loros, holding labarum and globus cruciger. Shifted strike, holed and plugged near edge, otherwise EF. ($40-60 Estimate) Sold for $230 including the buyer's 15% fee.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file