Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1925 turf cigarettes (boguslavsky)

25 card set i was able to get for around a buck a card.

seems like their are many of these type issues that are out there and are undervalued. imo
Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool set Steve!
    Turf cigarettes made a sport set also in 1925 - the american card had to do with Sisler:

Thanx for sharing
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Congratulations on a great buy.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Nice set, Steve - a buck a card can't be beat.
    Mike - I like that baseball card; tell me more.
    yf
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

the set i have has cricket, swimming, walking, pole vaulting, tennis. and a few others.

i grade the set all in good condition with a few very good.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hi All,

The sets are called Sports Records and they put out series 1 (1-25) and series 2 (26-50) both in 1925.

They also produced a few other great sets including Mythical Gods & Godesses and Conan Doyle Characters both of which I think are great. I have a few odds of both and will scan them if I can find them.

Nice set Steve, and at a nice price.

Matt
    Matt - UK based collector
  • Options
    Mark
    Matt laid out the set of 50 in two series of 25 cards - now onto the only card we really relate to: the Sisler card:

The phrasing of the record is hard to decipher but I think they are referring to the 1922 season when he hit .420 which was a record for the American league. What is interesting is how they missed his most important record of 1920 which we are all so familiar with since Ichiro broke. Ichiro shattered his season high of 257 hits which stood for over 80 years. Sisler was considered the best first baseman of the initial 30 years of the 20th century.
    Well, that's all I got. I feel like a baseball historian! image

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>the set i have has cricket, swimming, walking, pole vaulting, tennis. and a few others. >>

Steve
    When I was looking at the checklist, I noticed the "swimming" Johnny Weismuller card - for me that is the flagship of the fleet! Great card for the olympic collector in me.
    Thanx again
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Sisler was indeed a great player. If it wasn't for Gehrig, Sisler would have been at the top of everybody's alltime 1st basemen list. I think it was probably Sisler that spiked me into my lifelong love of baseball history. In 1958, I had a Topps card of Dave Sisler, and on the back was a mention of his great father. In seeking out more info about Papa George, I got hooked.

Thanks for sharing; the front of that Sisler card is hypnotizing....(uh oh..)

BTW - Decades later, my love of baseball history helped me gain a foothold in my industry. I cemented a business relationship with my biggest customer of the '90s by sitting in his office and swapping trivia questions!

yf
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    now im interested in getting series 2
    cards 26 thru 50

here is another from series 1
    Good for you.