Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ever join a registry just to be #1????

I am curious to see how many of you would or wouldn't join a set, player, key card, etc registry just so you can be #1 and not so much because like the player or set. All of the registries I like, with a few exceptions, are no win situations but I still like the fact there is a set amount of cards to go after. I joined the Baseball HOF Rookies registy, and soon football too, because I thought there was no way I could go wrong with those cards and a lot of them were cards I dreamed about having as a boy (Post War anyway).

Don't be bashful, it's quite alright to be competitive (in a good way).

Comments

• Options
    Well I started my Nolan Ryan basic set for several reasons. The first of which is he was my favorite player growing up. Secondly, it was an obtainable set. Not like the Ripken master set which is something like 2000 cards. Thirdly, Nolan cards have been, and always will be for the most part very stable, with the exception of some of the more modern PSA 10's, in price. His 68-75 cards should do nothing but go up in value over the years.
    This being said, I have every intention of being #1 in the basic set by next October. And some day, when I get the basic set done I'll start to work on the master, although at a slower pace than I have done the basic. I plan to do the master set mostly by my own submissions instead of buying cards that have already been graded (thats when the $5 special comes in very handy). Its one thing (for your wallet) to build a 50 or 100 card set by buying pre-graded cards, but trying to buy 1000 different cards that have already been graded... just the shipping along would kill me. I suppose when I get around to starting a company set (rather than a player set) for the registry it will be a lot easier to find lots that have already been graded in an all common grade.
    That being said, both my Dock Ellis basic and master sets are just being I want to be number 1 in the registry, lol. I don't really know much about him, or his playing years. Plus its nice to have different things to search for on ebay when I am bored late at night... I suppose thats the real reason.
    anyways, thats just my 2cents worth
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a real good topic and something I've been wondering myself. How many of you are "done" once you have a certain card in a desired grade, and how many of you are "never done" (i.e. always looking to upgrade).

Just wondering, I don't really know how I feel myself. Mostly, I guess I'm a quantity over quality type of collector (i.e. I'd rather have both 1954 and 1955 sets in PSA 4/5 than either one in PSA 7/8).

• Options

JonB - Great honest post.... From reading the Nolan Ryan thread, which I think is great read, I noticed Dock Ellis in your signature and was tempted to PM you to ask if that was serious or not.

DTFan - Iam with you, I want everything. It's hard to tell myself to hold out for a PSA9 when I could have 2 7's and an 8 of a given player in different cards. Iam a collector at heart, but sometimes I get into phases where I become an acquirer and buy everything in sight. It's a good thing I have a separate account for "miscellaneous" spending, otherwise the wife would have me strung up. She already refers to herself as an EBay widow.

Anyway back to the registries... I look at them all the time and on given days I have convinced myself, well almost, to jump in on any one of 50 of them. Obviously south of Fogel and Branca that isn't going to happen, but I would love to be #1 at something, although I do require at least a few other people to be involved in it if I were to do it. Maybe I just start the Kevin Maas registry and be done with it... image
  • Options
    Good post. I'd like to have a #1 set in a recognizable set but since I like pre War baseball and hockey and am not a millionaire it's not going to happen. I'd like to get my T206 into the top 20 (now current 27th) with an average grade of 3 and as many as I can get before moving on to the big Topps factory in the sky.

If I coulld complete one of those older sets I'd probably be satisfied and can't see trying to upgrade beyond my initial grade goal just to move up in the Registry - I'd rather start another set.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am working on a 1978 Topps PSA 9 or better set because I love the set and I collected and ruined them as a kid image
    I don't really care about being tops in the registry, although top 5 would be a nice achievment ...... maybe one day

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    For player sets, I always want to be #1, and I go all out to insure that it happens. For vintage sets, I really don't care.

JEB.
  • Options
    JEB - Do you pick the player sets that are a challenge to be #1 or do you take the lighter ones, go all out, and put it out of reach?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the registry mainly for inventory purposes, The fact that I collect only vintage material meens that I will NEVER have a set that would rank # 1. I mainly buy what I like from three different sets 53,54 BB and 52LGE Football and I also have a start of a Willie Mays basic set which will allow Me to purchase cards from different years than my primary sets. The registry is a great place for competition if you got BIG bucks to throw at cards, a bottom feeder like myself enjoys it just as much for what I use it for.
  • Options
    DataDriven05, yes, that is serious, lol. I have thought about starting some of the other "dinky" player sets before (boog powell, pepe frias as examples) just to have more things to look for everyday on ebay. YES, I do have way too much time on my hands, as I often get bored at work (but still have to be here).

As for the point of looking to upgrade or not, that just depends. On my player sets I will always be looking to upgrade, however when I start out on my 1973 Topps set I intend to do that set in all 9's, so I won't be buying any 8's or 10's. However if I submit raw and get 8's or lower I'll obviously need to upgrade them, and if i managed to submit a raw card and get a 10, I'd probably sell if and buy several common 9's with the cash.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I'm working on the 1968 Tigers in 8's. I haver no hope of ever being number 1; the prices are ridiculous. This one set is just wanting to complete it. My Trammell sets are different. I want to be number 1.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Yep. I requested a 1993 SP baseball set be added because I had one card. And I was #1 for a while with a handful of cards but now I'm #2. But the "leader" still only has a couple percent of the set.

I also have a certain player set I'd like added to the registry but haven't requested it yet. I'll probably get knocked off from the #1 spot there quickly, though, since I don't have 10s.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    nope never have, but i have joined a few to be in the top 10 or twenty.........
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>nope never have, but i have joined a few to be in the top 10 or twenty......... >>

Same for me. I registered my Venorlandus set knowing full well I will likely never be number one. I want to get to #3 if I can.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I have requested and had added to the Registry Master Sets of several different players, and there are about 10 more that I have requested which have not yet been added. Most of these players are less popular baseball HOFers from the 60s through the 80s. It would be nice to be number one on these registries, but I don't expect it to last long on any if I do (with 3 possible exceptions).

With regard to company sets, I collect way too many to have any hope of being #1 in any (unless I decide to focus heavily on one modern set that no one else is collecting heavily, where I have been able to pick up HOFer 9s and a semi-star 10 for well under grading costs). I'm just looking at completion as the goal.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I have been #1 since it started. I would still collect even if I wasnt at the top. I admit I enjoy being at the top and am proud of my collection. I havent had serious competition. But there have been a few collectors adding sets. In the last 6 moths alot of new blood has registered a few sets. I dont think anyone will be able to surpass me. Unless they submitt alot of cards themselves and that will take time and money. I havent devoted as much time to it as of late. I started by 1983 TOpps project and have been working on that. I have bought 6 vending boxes opened 2 and a few rack packs. I will submitt when I can afford to send in atleast 200 cards and or have 200 that are worthy.

james
    x
  • Options
    I collect things I like. Can't imagine collecting something I had no interest in. That being said, my tastes are wide spread and very ecclectic.
    But once I enter my name on the registry, I plan on winning. Maybe not tomorrow, or even the next day, but I'll be there in my own good time. I never compete in anyway to finish 2nd.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    I JUST FOLLOW FUZZ AROUND SOMEONES GOT TO KEEP HIM HONEST image
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Good topic, interesting to hear how some of us feel about our sets / collections.

Would most rather be # 1 in a Jim Rice player set , for example, or something like # 5 or 6 in a 1957 Topps BB set ???

I never really thought of the registry as a contest or race to be number one. Not to say there's anything wrong with being competitive and of course that will keep interest and corresponding demand up.

My feelings about the six sets I collect via the registry are mixed and change quite often. All are major issues , one FB and five Baseball.
    Sometimes I wish I would have concentrated on only one and used the time and money spent therein, thus producing a higher rated set.
    Sometimes I wish I would have collected a few more sets because I do enjoy so many various issues, and perhaps had only some of the set's cards graded.

I am foolish enough to have two unpopular sets, having slight completeion only, currently at # 1, at least the last time I looked, however thay are more recent and worthless; 87 Topps and 82 Donruss.
    I'm in the current top 5 in 73, 79 and 80, while way out at about # 12 in 1957 FB.

I know they are poor in comparison to some of the outstanding older sets. but I for some strange reason, enjoy them. . I never started a set to be number one, but of course I certainly would like to be. Then again, if I can get my sets to a level I can accept and enjoy, maybe even only part graded and part raw, I guess I'm pleased.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey JAXXR, nothing foolish about collecting what you like.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Some of the sets on the registry I suggested and weighted. I never planned on being #1 on any of them. It is just fine seeing my name in lights.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    As far as making the mother of all SPLASH entries, W. Smith came out with his T205 set and blew everyone out of the water. That was a couple years ago, but still very impressive.
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Good topic...
    I really enjoy the master player sets. I get a lot of satisfaction in
    finding the obscure card of a player to add to a set. It's also fun/frustrating when a new card jumps onto a master set that you hadn't factored in before (more searching to be done).

To me, it is more enjoyable to have a higher percentage completion on a master set than to have the highest GPA. That mindset also makes it more affordable.

My 'baby' is the Jabbar Master set.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    I have been working on the 1970 Topps set in psa 8 for a little over a year when I first started I was 20 something spot and had no interest in being number 1 but I always set my goal to pass the guy that was one up in front of me and work on 1 spot at a time I currently am in 7th place and very happy I probably will be taking over 6 within a month then it slows down for me as the top 5 guys are upgraders and in their 90 percent completion or better where I am about 72 percent. It has slowed down for me now as I am getting down to the harder cards to pick up. Some of the cards I havent been able to find in psa 8 are now popping up in 9's and I have started my upgrade as well by picking up a couple of these sweet psa 9's I probably will continue to upgrade to all 9's where possible, but that has nothing to do with trying to be number 1 on the registry, however number 6 spot look out cause here I come.
  • Options
    #1 in the 75 Topps Mini's was my goal when I started my collection in June of this year. Chris's set seemed almost impossible to reach at the start. I was extremely lucky when I purchased a "raw" set that included 16 graded cards (which included PSA 9's of Brett/Yount) on eBay. The set was said to have needed only 21 upgrades to make it all PSA 7 or better. It was also claimed that most cards would grade PSA 8 or better. Turns out most did grade PSA 8 or better. However, there was a little more work to be done than 21 cards. More like 60-70 cards. As a rookie at the grading process, I submitted some OC stuff and cards that I now know would grade 7's that I really wasn't looking for in my quest to catch up with Chris's set. Week after week I'd keep my eye on eBay auctions and slowly I'd pick up cards that would upgrade my set. After my first PSA submission of 100 cards, and then 440 cards. I was able to move up the 75 Mini PSA set registry list quickly as there were not that many collectors with a high percentage of the set completed. Once I past Chris's set at approx 83% I still needed a few more cards to pass his set rating. When I finally did pass into the #1 position he took his set off the registry, which was kind of surprising? I e-mailed him but never received a response? After that I received a few offers to buy some pretty nice lot's of PSA 9's and that's when my set really started getting to where it was really looking like something beyond what I had thought possible. My current 8.73 GPA is a dream come true with a set that has approx. 42 cards that you can only get in PSA 8. I find it a little surprising that no one else is really making a charge on this set? The PSA Pop report I thought was proof enough as to why it would be fantastic to get a high grade set of these cards! I have close to 30 cards that are 1/1's. The low pop's in PSA 9's I figured would make it very appealing to some big time collector? Having grown up in CA collecting these cards, it is truely a wonderful feeling to know I now have the cards I loved as a kid, and knowing I have the #1 PSA registered set is kind of a nice distant 2nd reason for collecting this set image