Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1978 Burger King Trammell PSA 9

Just got this back from PSA today. The 1978 Topps/Burger King Alan Trammell is the holy grail for Trammell collectors. Tram's 78 rookie card is one of those 4 pictures on one card with Paul Molitor. This card was given away at Detroit area Burger Kings in 1978, and features a full picture. I bought a box of these cards earlier in the year, hoping to pull a card centered enough for a 9. This is the first 9 slabbed. The cards are notorious for being off center and for having dinged corners because they were tightly wrapped in cellophane. Just thought I'd share something that I've been waiting a LONG time for.
Jim

Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers

Comments

• Options
    Congrats! I love those Burger King cards that add extra cards to the late 70s sets. Much nicer than his rookie card.
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    That's a great pickup! Even though the centering is not great - that is a super-tough card and a very welcome addition to your collection! Congrats
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Burger Kings cards being tough to grade. I have bought many packs of them and you are right, the cellophane bends the corners. I've even had them come out warped (badly curved in many directions) straight from the pack. I think any of the Burger King sets would a good challenge for somebody to complete.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Hi MS,
    It's one of the better centered examples I have found with decent color and corners. These BK cards all seem to be "short" on the left side.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    As detroitfan2 only because detroitfan1 was already taken, I must say that card brings a tear to my eye. If you get a chance to post a picture of Sweet Lou or Jack Morris from the same year, please do so.
  • Options
    Detroitfan2,
    I have the cards just not graded. I'll get a picture up as soon as I can. Glad there's someone out there that feels the way I do about these cards!
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it you bum image

Nice pull on the 9 - So far I've got the only set registered for this issue, and damn that would make a great entry for your own!!

Congrats!

Jerster's Fast Food Tigers
  • Options
    And Jimtb, you know I feel the same way about these cards ... one of my favorite sets!!!

Jerry
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    That is incredible. I would have never known such a card existed. Thanks for sharing that!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    awesome card! i want one image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Hey Jester,
    I've drooled over your set for months now. I've got a stack of BK's to submit. I'm going to try to get them in before the $5 special runs out.
    Jim
  • Options
    It isn't everyday that someone actually has a card I'm jealous of...that is one of those very few! Boo-Yah!!!! Those cards are impossible. I am surprised that a 9 was awarded that particular example with the LR issues. Certainly well outside of 60/40???, but the corners look impossibly sharp for the issue. Great pick-up and thanks for posting the pic!

dgf
  • Options
    DGF,
    Thanks. I think the card may be slid a little to the left on the scan. The raised part of the slab is making it look a little more OC than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not 50/50, but 60/40 is not out of the question. I'm going to try and submit a Morris and Whitaker as well. The bug for this set has bit me.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    You dog! I would love to have that. It's one of my favorite cards and although my PSA 7 and 8 are nice, they aren't mint nice. Someday perhaps....
    Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Hey Joe,
    I have a 6, 7, 8, and 8OC as well! How's the centering on your 8?
  • Options
    Well they aren't 9's, but these are my babies....

Jerster's Tram's

Jerster
  • Options
    Hey Jester,
    When you built your BK set, how many cards did you submit to build it?
  • Options
    Jim,

Thanks for sharing. The corners look really sharp in your scan. Have you dealt at all with unopened packs of Burger King? I've seen them a couple of times on eBay and wondered how the corners typically come out on these because the packs only have three cards in them.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Cool card! Looks like it could slide right into the 78 Topps set - and a rare 9 to boot!
  • Options
    Jim,
    What you see is what I got - swung with my best ones that I had. That's why most are 1 of 1's and hence worth millions image

These were out of many, many sets that I picked through. All and all, I was pretty happy.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    where did you buy your box from?
    really nice card with some real sharp corners!
    i wonder if there is a molitor burger king card out there?
    Bob
  • Options
    Peter! Somehow, I've lost your email address. please drop me a line at jimtb@cfl.rr.com. To answer your question, I bought a box of BK cards of ebay earlier this year - that's where this Tram came from. However, all of the packs are curled, the celophane is TIGHTLY wrapped, creating a lot of bad corners. This Tram card was in the middle of the four card pack (a header and three cards in each pack). To be honest, I think it's a crapshoot buying a box. I just got lucky.
    Jim
  • Options
    Hey Jester,
    You obviously have a great eye. You're set is at an 8.0 with a couple of 9's thrown in. Great job!
  • Options
    RVC, I bought the box off ebay earlier this year. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Burger King only produced cards for the Tigers, Yankees, and Phillies in 1978 - I think. There is no Molitor.
  • Options
    I know Burger King also produced and Astros set in '78, as mine arrived in the mail yesterday!
    Always looking for signed Cowboys items from the 'Landry years'
  • Options
    Rangers too I think.