Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Does Psa give better grades to bigger members?

Has anyone else besides me received cards usually bought on e-bay that they knew were less than the grade received from the bigger sellers. Now I don't want to name any names here but you know who I am talking about. I just bought a card that was supposedly a 1/1 which when I put it in the set registry it was a 1 of 2, But that is another story. Anyway the card looks more like a 4 than a 9. I wondered if someone when graded wrote a 4 and it was mistaken for a nine by the person who types up the card info. I would post a scan but i am at work, i may later...........

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Psa give better grades to bigger members? >>

First off, how would they know whether you had a bigger member or not? image
  • Options
    I was getting 7s and 8s but after I sent them a pic, I started getting 10s.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone else besides me received cards usually bought on e-bay that they knew were less than the grade received from the bigger sellers. Now I don't want to name any names here but you know who I am talking about. I just bought a card that was supposedly a 1/1 which when I put it in the set registry it was a 1 of 2, But that is another story. Anyway the card looks more like a 4 than a 9. I wondered if someone when graded wrote a 4 and it was mistaken for a nine by the person who types up the card info. I would post a scan but i am at work, i may later........... >>

I am sure that all of us would like to see a scan of a PSA 9 MINT that looks like a PSA 4 VG-EX. That would have to be a drastic oversight to happen.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ya, that's why i write down 304 pounds every time i fill out the personal info part of my submission forms
  • Options
    TO answer your question...No the graders are not suppose to know who's card they are grading.

You guys crack me up !! I have the biggest member.

James
    x
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA's biggest submitter:

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>PSA's biggest submitter:

image >>

i thought TJ Schwartz submitted to SCD? or are they no longer in business?
  • Options
    On your submission form, sign John Holmes.
  • Options
    or Dirk Diggler
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>or Dirk Diggler >>

or PAndrews
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Wolf Savage, Rudy Vaselino, the possibilities are endless...
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    When I get home tonight I will scan in the picture of the card in question, it was bought from one of the largest dealers on e-bay, who I have never had any trouble with. But this is the second time I have gotten a card from a large dealer on e-bay that the card in no way could have been a psa 9. The other one actually looks like it was never cut across the top rough top border. I will scan both tonight.

• Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭

<< <i>The other one actually looks like it was never cut across the top rough top border. >>

You mean circumcised?image
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    It wasn't 4SC was it?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    y not just return it?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Most dealers don't accept returns on graded cards - which I can understand since they are only selling a card that was graded by a 3rd party. Any dispute to the quality of the grade would have to be w/ the company that graded it.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TI am sure that all of us would like to see a scan of a PSA 9 MINT that looks like a PSA 4 VG-EX. That would have to be a drastic oversight to happen. >>

Agreed..........or you may have a card damaged by encapulation. This happens from time to time. Awhile back I purchased a 10 that had major damage that would have put the card in psa 5-6 land, and was promptly refunded by the dealer (and a very large dealer too).

I think in the end you will find a sensible reason for what you're seeing.

BOTR

• Options
    several years ago at the big summer show in Chicago, those of who bought VIP passes were allowed onto the show floor the night before it opened. I went to have some cards graded by PSA and was told they were only grading cards from authorized dealers and I would have to come back the next day when the show was open to the public.

Kosmo
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have recently received a 1978 PSA 9 Topps Don Baylor and Jim Kern that had enough printing dots on the card to make you think the grader had a nice lunch at the pub and came back and thought the dots were cool or something. I doubt they grade based on the customer though ..........

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Collecting Anything Yaz Related
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    When did PSA start grading members? I assume the bigger ones would get higher grades. Unless they were doctored.
  • Options
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Oh, ok. I get it now. I always wondered why PSA had the Tall Boy holders and special rates for Tall Boys. image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Well - those scans sure seem damning
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I looked at the scan/pics aswell. I saw a grey back , christmas theme and Wade Boggs at 18months plaing ball . Have to admit I enjoyed them.

James
    x
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mikeschmidt - how about a PSA 8 that looks like a PSA 2? I have one.
    OK, so it's a Kellogg's that cracked while in the slab (it was uncracked when I received it, was stored in a stack laying flat at room temperature with low humidity, and still developed multiple cracks).

Every PSA card that I've owned that was IMO clearly overgraded had the same sort of problem - excessive corner wear (dinging or even creasing), which suggests to me that the problem arose when the card was being slabbed.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.