Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jester's Challenge #250

Welcome to Jester's Challenge, an interactive history lesson.

It is my hope that this series will provide us with much entertainment, knowledge, and friendship, through the active participation of as many people as possible. Please tell us what you know of this coin, or anything related to it. Thank you all!

Here's selection number 250:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's from Bolivia...that's about all I can tell ya image
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a peso.image

I like the designs on Bolivian coins: a happy sun, a llama and a palm tree - what more could one want!

-JamminJ
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Well, if you're Mad Marty, an AU-58 grade??

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>I like the designs on Bolivian coins: a happy sun, a llama and a palm tree - what more could one want! >>

It looks like an ideal world. imageimage
  • Options
    Nice coin, I have the 25 centavo version from 1972. The obverse with the smiling sun reminds me of the Fugio cent, a favorite coin of mine.
  • Options
    image Nice!!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the first with a Krause?

KM#192, no mintage listed for 1969, but 10,000,000 for 1968 and 1970 with similar values listed for the 1969. 1.75 in UNC per my 31st edition.

I really like that design too. image

• Options
    The challenges are back! Thank you!!! imageimage

I cannot add much else to what the others have said, except ask - is the word "BOLIVIANO" worn or weakly struck? I'm confused, as on the opposite side "REPUBLICA" is also worn, whereas the other details are much more bold.

Sorry to turn this into an interactive grading lesson image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Philip, grading lesson or not, this is the essence of the Challenges: add what you can! image

There is no wear on the coin, but as you pointed out, both sides exhibit a weakness of strike as if it wasn't hit straight on by the press. Perhaps this has to do with metal flow during the strike, and due to the large size of the coin, and hardness of the metal alloy, it didn't fill the dies completely. I don't have any other of these coins to compare with. Overall, I think this coin has a very unusual amount (lack) of marks. Were it not for the apparant weakness of strike, I'd be tempted to call it an MS-68 coin.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Yes, it definitely looks nice image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin