Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Jester's Challenge #248

Welcome to Jester's Challenge, an interactive history lesson.

It is my hope that this series will provide us with much entertainment, knowledge, and friendship, through the active participation of as many people as possible. Please tell us what you know of this coin, or anything related to it. Thank you all!

Here's selection number 248:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• I think the more recent Jamaican coinage has a man and woman rather than two men.
  • A token of some sorts? image Maybe from the 1800s, How big is it? Looks like a design of the 1797 GB 1P (As far a planchet) don't mean the legends etc...

Merchant tokens were common in the 19th century.....
  • That crocodile looks like a baby dinosaur imageimage
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Philip, I guess the crocodiles/alligators are bigger in Jamaica! Rhound, you're correct in observing the similarity to the British cartwheel coins. This coin is undoubtedly a Sam Boulton design, which also helps date it to the very early 19th century. Otherwise, I have no information on this token, and I'd very much like to know.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Up for Auction

Unfortunately he doesn't show a picture, but he says it's from c1850's. Sounds like the same one.....he has an email address, maybe he could send you a picture, and informationimage
    Becky
    Thanks, Becky! I sent an email, and perhaps he'll give us some info!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I emailed him and got a pic, but no information other that what he already gave, except he calls it a penny token. Yep, same coin, but yours in in a lot better shapeimage

Becky
    Wow, you're fast, Becky! I got a response this morning too, but didn't have time to post it yet. He didn't give me any more information except to say that the token is 1/2 penny size. Although these tokens say 1d, they are in fact 1/2d size. I wonder if Jamaica had a different exchange rate.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD