Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jester's Challenge #246

Welcome to Jester's Challenge, an interactive history lesson.

It is my hope that this series will provide us with much entertainment, knowledge, and friendship, through the active participation of as many people as possible. Please tell us what you know of this coin, or anything related to it. Thank you all!

Here's selection number 246:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    With no catalog I'll venture a guess: Prussia, Frederick William I. Small copper or bronze coin so likely a pfennig.

I really like the off center strike with part of the design repeated.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You're right, Jammin', as I'd expect you to be. It's actually silver but with an ancient gold patina. The corrosion, however, doesn't add to its beauty.

But don't you think there's something else odd about it, being a Prussian coin?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>You're right, Jammin', as I'd expect you to be. It's actually silver but with an ancient gold patina. The corrosion, however, doesn't add to its beauty.

But don't you think there's something else odd about it, being a Prussian coin?

imageimageimage >>

The coin has two obverses, ie monogram and eagle?image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    It's a Polish eagle.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Would this mean that the coin is from somewhere in the 15th century when Prussia was a small Baltic state under Teutonic vassalization and was trying to appeal to the big Polish neighbours?

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    Something like that. It's from 1654.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    I was finally able to read the date image That's a tough one image

• Options
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image