Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Take a shot - it's only money!

Have a look at this Horrors of War auction. Wouldn't you expect a bit more description than "good to near mint" and a tiny scan that shows eight cards in one picture if you were going to drop six grand on this set?

....I don't know, maybe it's me....
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    i think ill email the guy and say.....yes i want specific scans of each card. thanks

Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know, maybe it's me.... >>

Mark
    No it's not you....if it were that easy! OK here we go...I have this genuine Black Box...it's loaded with valuable "stuff" - what stuff? Ya know...stuff...never mind what is worth, never mind what it costs...I'm going to start the bidding at 3600$!
    OK, I've got an opening bid of 3600 dollars from the little old lady in the back of the room...oh, you weren't bidding?....you were just goosing horse flies?....OK...I have a bid from the fat guy in the 3rd row....OK...who'll say 3700....I've got 3600....who'll say 3700?...anybody?

Mike
  • Options
    Actually that's the second go around on that set. It was previously listed with no bids.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    sad thing about this is that this guy may have this set, but needs a course in ebay marketing.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The guy does have 6 of the Key cards listed in his scan - No. 1 Marco Polo Bridge, No. 240 Death Card, The 3 Hitler Cards - No. 277, 283 & 286 plus No. 288 - the last card of the set. I could figure those 6 out from his tiny scan but I need help on the other 2 cards shown. Can anyone figure that one out.
    30's R Want List:

• Options
    just by the scans provided it looks to ba a vg-vg/ex set. i would guess the others not shown are poor-ex. i'm not knocking it, it is a great set in any condition.but when you list at a high reserve you better get as many pics as possible and super-size them and still offer large scans via email. WarHoundR69 what do you think it's worth??? you should have an idea better than anybody else??give us a figure.too high start price w/no graded cards. i'd love to have this set!thanks--dennis
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

Aw crap, Mike - I just got back from my weekend company Xmas party - did I miss out on the box??? I would've gone to 6 large...image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>I just got back from my weekend company Xmas party - did I miss out on the box??? I would've gone to 6 large... >>

OK, ladies and gentlemen...we just got a bid of 6 grand from the guy who's having trouble standing up in the back...could someone please help him to a seat?...thank you....OK...I got 6...do I hear 6500 hundred?...
    got 6...do I hear 6500?

No? Going once...going twice...sold for 6 thousand dollars!!!!!

Mike
  • Options
    IF the cards are in G/VG condition with minimal creasing, no back damage (From being glued into albums), no writing on them with normal toning and rounded corners, I would be willing to pay the following amounts:
    Card #1 -$10.00
    Card Nos. 2 to 48 - $3.00/card
    Card Nos. 49 to 192 - $2.00/card
    Card Nos. 193 to 239 - $5.00/card
    Card No. 240 - $150.00
    Card Nos. 241 to 264 - $5.00/card
    Card Nos. 265 to 276 - $8.00/card
    Card Nos 277 to 287 (Non - Hitler Cards) - $15.00/card
    Card No. 277 - $150.00
    Card No. 283 - $250.00
    Card No. 286 - $150.00
    Card No. 288 - $50.00
    Adding up the above numbers I come up with a total value of $1722.00 for the set. Of course if the key cards are in better condition the value would escalate dramatically.
    There is a PSA1 of Card No. 277 (Hitler's Border Tour) up for auction on Ebay. I've dealt with the seller and he is a good person to buy from. The bidding has not exceeded $20.00 as of when I wrote this post.
    30's R Want List:

• Options
    One other note. Because of the difficulty of assembling a complete set of HOW cards, in nice condition, there is a premium attached to a complete set. If you are patient and willing to spend the time (Several Years) searching for the right cards at the right price you can assemble a complete set in Ex. condition for under 6 grand IMHO.
    I have 266 different (Fortunately bought the 6 key cards a few years ago when they were cheaper). To date I have spent $4200.00 accumulating the cards I have. The vast majority will grade in the 5 to 6 range. I just haven't been able to locate the last 22 in the right condition.
    30's R Want List:

• Options
    thanks,thats great info. 1930's cards in ex or vg/ex are really nice.
  • Options

<< <i>If you are patient and willing to spend the time (Several Years) searching for the right cards at the right price you can assemble a complete set in Ex. condition for under 6 grand IMHO. >>

War
    To be very candid...for me that's the fun! Searching, occasionally finding a card raw that is a score...bottom feeding and trolling thru ebay looking for bargains - they are out there and the hunt, for me, is what it is all about.
    Now, some sets are best purchased whole like the movie stars but that's for a different Ricky Lake show.
    Thanx
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The Death Card (HOW #240) in VG/EX condition just sold on Ebay for $242.00. The PSA1 HOW #277 has a current high bid of $18.00 plus change. In case any one is interested.
    30's R Want List: