shaking head on this one

Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Steve,

Check out this steal someone got in the Leland's auction:

Lot 1781 . 1965 Topps #350 Mickey Mantle PSA 8
    A stellar 8 that's much closer to being a Mint 9 than a Nm 7. One of the usual downfalls of this card is print problems, but this copy is very strong in that regard. Centered just a shade high and to the left, with bright white borders and solid "8" quality corners. The reverse is clean but centered noticeably to the left.

Reserve: $300
    Number of Bids: 6
    Current Bid: $643.07
    Price Realized: $755.61

In 3 years I've been watching that set...I've never seen the Mantle that low.

Just imagine what the consigner ended up getting....ouch!!

He should of just thrown it up on eBay and pretty much got $900 min.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    ouch is right........and i agree that card would do better on ebay then lelands (for the seller)
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>debullschit

shaking head on this one >>

That's funny, Steve. because I just picked up a really nice looking NM version of this card (better centering than this PSA 8) for under $3 from Mick. I think I would pay $3 for this card instead of overpaying $50 for it. Yikes.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago when I was chasing this set, the Dave D. card was on the tough side, apparently it still is as 2 are needed to get a card to a higher level. His '64 Topps card usually sells for less then this...jay
  • Options
    i got mine within the past 2 months for under 20.00...

timing is everything
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Must have been a basketball fan that picked that one up. The values aside, I am surprised Dave DeB does not get more acclaim for what he accomplished in sports. The guy was a stud. Besides his brief baseball career....a player-coach before the Knicks got him. Strong enough to hold off The Wilt when Willis went down. Holzman was a great coach for the championship Knicks, but if you were around to watch, you have to wonder who was really coaching --- Holzman or DeB and Bradley.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Those auctions are nothing but a big swindle. Unless you are one of the "inner circle." Obviously, this poor seller was not, and he got stung.
  • Options
    as for timing, the latest so called hi dollar low pop has continued its free fall as card 44 blasingame sold last nite for under 44.00. even with dsl's add on, the final was under 50.00..........
    Good for you.