Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Y U Buy what U buy

I have been buying and selling sports cards on eBay for 5 years now and occasionally I wonder why people buy certain items from me. Some are easy to figure out, especially when “tigersfan” buys all the Detroit Tiger cards that I have listed, or when Joe Smith Jr. buys some Joe Smith Sr. cards. But every so often someone buys a card for some obscure reason only known to him or herself. Sometimes, luckily, they share that reason with me, and today I would like to pass on one note I received. In turn I would like to ask you Y U Buy what U buy.

Carlos

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y I buy what I buy,
    I am 34 and am happy with my life, but I will say Im not at all happy with the way the world is and how much things have changed since I was a kid. That being said, I buy vintage baseball and football for the love of the sport, but it also gives Me a glimpse of the past when things were much more simple.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I buy what I buy because I'm a raging obsessive compulsive lunatic,
    but at least I have both arms.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Why do I buy what I buy??? I buy 1973 topps baseball cards. Why? Well that was the year I was 9 years old...baseball was everything to me and life was simple. Some of my fondest memories were from that time frame and it is just a way for me to keep in touch with my youth as well as to remember simpler times when all i cared about was getting up and playing baseball!!

oh and.......

saturday morning cartoons (real cartoons with bugs and daffy and the like) and a big bowl of captain crunch!!!! ahhhhhhhh...drink in the nostagia!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do I buy what I buy??? I buy 1973 topps baseball cards. Why? Well that was the year I was 9 years old...baseball was everything to me and life was simple. >>

wow, I buy 1978 Topps for this same EXACT reason. I was 9 in 1978 and you can ditto everything else you said, except it was Honeycombs for me man

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I buy Dodger cards because...well...I'm from LA. But I will also buy on impulse if a card catches my eye or looks like a good price. Take for instance this 1970 Bench card, it is so out of focus and off inked that it is 3D...it looks even better in person. It caught my eye and I had to have it. Sure, I have some top rated sets, but this card is one of my favorites along with the FF Billy Ripken card which I just can't stop laughing at it even after 15 years.

Kevin
  • Options
    I do 1955 Topps, the year my dad collected. We enjoy reminiscing about the players, which cards he put in his bike spokes, etc. Also, it was the year Them Bums beat the Yankees, being from Boston, anyone who beat the Yankees is my Favorite. Can't help impulse buys either. I like the 88 score glossy update, it is rare with a couple good rookies. Also 84 fleer updates, when i should have been colelcting. My do my birth year 1976, but the cards seem so ugly to me. Also 1$ more on any card Lmayer is the high bidder on! jk
  • Options
    I buy 1953 Topps because they're beautiful.

I buy 1961 Topps because 1961 was a great year for baseball. Also because the 1961 set is LOADED with HOF'ers, multiple Mantle, Maris, Aaron, and Mays cards, really tough high numbers, hard to find properly centered without print defects, plus a Ruth and a Gehrig. I find that set to be a heck of a challenge, on my budget. I bought 25 cards on Ebay last night and spent $250.

I buy 1959 Topps because I had a bunch of nice commons and got a cheap Mantle, and thought it made sense to finish the set.

I buy 1938 Goudey because 1961 and 1959 Topps are frustrating because there are so many cards in each set. The Goudeys are nice, but there are only 48 of them and I felt like actually completing a set.

-Al
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do I buy what I buy? Well, I buy:

1) 1962 Topps baseball - Because my uncle gave me my choice of 5 cards from his collection and 1962 was what he had. I got 2 Mantles, an Aaron, a Perry, and a Cash.

2) 2001 Pacific Atomic Prism patches - Because I bought a pack of Atomic from a store earlier this year and pulled a 3-color patch, my first patch pull ever. I liked it so much, I decided to try and do the set.

3) 2003 Press Pass football - I love college football and college uniform cards. When I got back into collecting cards, I chose to focus on football and this set seemed a natural target. I'm working on a master set because it seemed do-able - nothing #'ed under 100, no super-valuable cards, etc. I'm 75% done now.

4) Junior Herndon baseball cards - I coached Junior when he was in high school. Naturally, I want his cards image

5) John Navarre football cards - I wanted to collect a rookie from 2004, preferrably one whose cards wouldn't be too expensive. I like QBs and I love the University of Michigan, so Navarre was a natural choice.

So there ya go. Great topic!

Tabe
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to do it, but I have thought about collecting players with my last name. My name is Tippet, so there would be few to collect, Andre Tippett, Dave? Tippett (mid 80's hockey, I think).

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

<< <i>I have yet to do it, but I have thought about collecting players with my last name. My name is Tippet, so there would be few to collect, Andre Tippett, Dave? Tippett (mid 80's hockey, I think).

Don >>

Don,

Another one with two "T"s on the end:

In case you wondered, this is a T218 Champions card issued in 1910 by the American Tobacco Company. Believe it or not, you're not the first person I've been in contact with to collect a player from this set with a common last name (the first one had the last name Cline).

Best of luck. I'll look for another one for you!

JEB.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Rookie cards of baseball players who share my birth date.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    What Morrellman said.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    WHY???????

......because Kellogg's cards are "KOOL".......image

KING
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Good to see you around, Mr. King!!!

I missed the beating heart liberals
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Good thread.

1. I collect Marino cards because I was awed by his accomplishments when I was 10 (during his record breaking 1984 season). Plus I respected that he played every game with determination and confidence - he was truly one of the greatest to play the game.

2. 1959 Topps FB - I bought a couple of cello packs from the BBCardKid and pulled some very nice cards. I liked the set so much, that I decided to put together a PSA 8+ set - which is currently 40% finished.

3. 1969 Topps FB - I just love the colors - one of the most beautiful sets of all time.

4. All other topps fb sets - because I'm a compulsive freak who has to own one of everything!!!!

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I collect psa graded basketball cards from '69 - '81 because as a kid beginning in '71 I collected virtually only baseball and football cards. Beginning with the 1970 sets, I have most all the baseball and football sets through the 1980s in raw form. I decided against working backwards through the sixties and turned to completing the basketball sets in graded form.
    1) The sets are a reasonable size....from 99 cards to 330 cards.
    2) They are all new to me. I'm experiencing new cards/poses/bios that I have never seen before.
    3) I'm stuck in the seventies.....in so many ways.

Don
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.