Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nerdy Things You Do As A Coin Collector

What type of nerdy things do you do that no one else does with respect to coin collecting? for example:

when I set cruise control, I set it at MS67 or MS68 mph depending on my mood (god, I'm a nerd!)

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always inspect my change. More than once I think I ticked of a cashier because they thought I was counting it. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    I take my coins out for a walk on sunny days.......I read coinage to them and.....................if they behave....I take them out to Chucky Cheese for Pizza image

Actually I can't think of anything nerdy I do with coins, but I do have a lot of worthless circulated wheaties in 2X2's if that counts???
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    I make them pose for pictures. image
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    i inspect my change paper or coinage. and if i see something good when they are making the change ill ask for it and point out the one coin in a sea of 20 or 30 holding up the line just to get a silver coin or a wheaty. yes i am that guy. and im also the type that as manager i get a nice coin i must run to the managers office and put it in a 2x2 cardboard holder to for safe keeping. and yes i carry 2x2s and a mini stapler incase im on the road a nice coin pops in. i also leave some at rite aid incase .

that must make me the king geek of coin collecting.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    I wish I had 2 1797 half dollars instead of 1 1797 dollar..... hey. a buck's a buck !
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    I spend time on this forum.

Actually, I've taken a little bit of a break from this forum to catch up on some of the new theories in Particle Physics and Field Theory. Otherwise, I might feel too geeky.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I use coin websites as examples when I'm teaching web programming at the university.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I enter bills into WheresGeorge.com
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Isn't just collecting coins nerdy enough?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I remember one guy who posted here a couple of years ago who took his coins to the tub with him.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When he sent them in for reholdering because the slabs got water inside I wonder if they came back as cleaned.
  • Options
    Atarian - you could just be the king by carrying those 2 x 2's, altho it could be a good idea. image

I also irritate cashiers by checking change before and after transaction - but I guess the nerdiest thing I do is clean old wheat pennies with mineral oil or whatever necessary to get the green stuff off. Altho, I do have a box that is just labeled: "clean me", and I haven't done it in quite awhile. I also collect circulated coinage from my grandchildren's birth years, roll 'em up and stash 'em away.

Funny thread! image

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I talk coins with my family, even when they dont care. I am the guy who will keep talking, about coins and currency, when no one else paying attention. I look through all my coins and currency for errors, dates, silver, etc.

I dont take them into the bath, but I do have numerous mags and publications in the bathroom! image

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    Just yesterday I was at Wendy's for lunch and when the girl handed me the change I stepped out of line and started looking at what she had given me - I glanced up and she was glaring at me. image
  • Options
    I also often get the feeling that I have offened the cashier by checking my change

Also, I'll buy rolls of nickels from the bank, and they always ask "what are you gonna do with all those nickels?" I gave up explaining and just say it's for playing poker!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are nerds!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I entered almost the entire redbook coins and mintages into my database. i also entered almost all of the PCGS regsitries and weightings into it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a T-shirt with a huge picture of the a Barber half obverse on the front. I actually contemplated wearing the shirt out in public. My wife nearly died of fright when she saw it and told me if I ever wanted to get anymore late night action that it was either her or the shirt. Needless to say, the shirt promptly went to my boys bedroom so they could use it as pajamas.

Tyler
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides my pen pocket protector in my shirt pocket and masking tape on my horned rim glasses....Probably getting very excited about finding a condition rarity common coin to submit.
  • Options

<< <i>I entered almost the entire redbook coins and mintages into my database. i also entered almost all of the PCGS regsitries and weightings into it. >>

oh ya, i have a coins spreadsheet goin too...used the redbook and all for mintage # and weights!
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    great thread. I read my 3 year-old my US type set book everynight before going to bed.

I also willl go into history and coins whenever the opportunity presents itself.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I enter bills into WheresGeorge.com >>

Me 2! image

Plus I also watch cash register drawers hoping for a peek inside! The cafeteria crew here at work has become used to me just pointing and reaching! If this were somewhere else I'm sure I'd get arrested! At least I know I'd arrest me if I did that to me!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also often get the feeling that I have offened the cashier by checking my change

Also, I'll buy rolls of nickels from the bank, and they always ask "what are you gonna do with all those nickels?" I gave up explaining and just say it's for playing poker! >>

Its the same with half dollars! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've carried a 16x loupe in my left front pocket for the last fifteen years. On occasion I'll take it out and examine a coin I've received in change. It used to come in real handy when I worked retail, I picked a few nice varieties out of the change drawer at the auto parts store where I used to work.

Actually, because of that experience, I always carry a pen in my back left pocket. I would answer the phones at the store and the commercial customers would simply read off a littany of descriptions and parts requirements, if you didn't have a pen and paper close at hand you could miss the entire order.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I build little houses out of cent rolls (a.k.a. Lincoln Logs).

Not really. image
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at sunsets and think about toners.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    I sit and examine every detail of my indian tribe 4 or 5 coins at a time for a couple of hours, comparing and studying and thinking and looking at my books while I do it and my wife always ask me what I'm looking at and tells me that I'm gonna look the gold right off those coins. But I got her last week, she asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her to just put a bow in her hair...hee hee!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I got David Hall to pedigree this!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>I got David Hall to pedigree this!!!
    image >>

Are these photoshop'd or did he really Pedigree your weenie dollars?
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whew !!!!
    What a relief.......I don't do any of these things.....
    I'm not a nerd after all !!!

Paul
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    David Hall, in a weak moment , pedigreed that collection.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    I wear a coin dispenser when I go shopping. People tend to look at me funny but I always have correct change.image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took my son for his first trip to the orthodontist. Dr. Shama, has "Shama shillings" , little coins the patients can earn for having clean teeth. You can buy a pouch for them, and turn them in later for stuff. I'm going to HAVE to put a few in 2x2's.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I actually go into the closet with mine! (see other thread regarding our man caves, etc)

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I enter bills into WheresGeorge.com >>

Lol so do I!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    The subject of this thread reminded me of the collector (or dealer) featured in the CRO Road Report of November 20, 2009 (Day 2):

"...when I walked into the men’s room and saw something I’ve never before encountered at a coin show: the off-putting sight of some guy in the stall on his hands and knees with coins spread out on the floor as he was carefully placing them in various Whitman albums. Thankfully, I could only see his hands and feet (and all those coins), but I was sufficiently freaked out to turn around and leave immediately."
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    As an update. Since Im an EMT i now carry my coin loupe , my 2x2 and mini stapler in the ambulance. Its a pain to holder them going lights and sirens in Newark. But, the locals learn real quick dont try to jay walk in front of my ambulance cause it aint stopping for anyone. ( not when theres a nice coin waiting at the D&D in the penny cup for me. )
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Umm..... everything?
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I showed up at this website, for starters.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wear a coin dispenser when I go shopping. People tend to look at me funny but I always have correct change.image >>

You win.

(Yes, I know he posted this eight years ago, but he still wins today.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I spend way too much time on this site image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file