Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA should start a new player's set - They can call it "All juiced up All-stars".

Hi Guys, How about PSA start a new player's set - They can call it "All juiced up All-stars". The #1 card will be Barry "I don't know what was in that sh_t I was using" Bonds. Who should be cards #2 and so on? Let's hear some votes for other "juiced up" players over the years. Neil

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Bonds
    Caminiti
    Canseco
    Sosa
    Sheffield
    McGwire

and 50- 75 percent of the players out there depending on what reports we read
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Lenny Dykstra
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Other guesses: Juan Gonzalez, Reggie Sanders, Ivan Rodriguez
  • Options
    the guy that played for the KC royals, teammate of George Brett, he was about 5'2" and 95 lbs., shoots, the name escapes me. But I can see his '77 topps card vividly, I think he was in the batting cirlce (no weights on the bats though...they would knocked the poor guy flat on his back). I think he had the title of the league's smallest player. Does anyone happen to know, so I can end the joke I never finished.
    everywhere you go
    there you are

marc in Hawaii
  • Options
    I think that was Freddy Patek??
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher
  • Options
    Brady Anderson
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Options
    Hi Guys, Are we forgeting Giambi? League MVP on the magic juice. Neil
  • Options
    Bret Boone...guy got huge in one offseason
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not list 80% of MLB ? Ridiculus to think you can name a list of steroid users in MLB.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Without any proof whatsoever and going on purely their physical appearance:

Ryan Klesko. I didn't think much about him being on the juice until I saw him this year. Talk about a guy who shrunk (looked at least 25-30 lbs lighter than previous years). His homerun total was rather telling as well.

Lenny Dykstra for sure. The guy went from 5'8 and 155 lbs soaking wet to pocket hercules overnight.

Jeff Bagwell has really bulked up from his younger playing days. Just look at the size of his forearms and thighs! Giambiesque transformation.

Luis Gonzalez. 57 friggin home runs in 2001?? How does this guy not get mentioned when we throw accusations of steriod abuse around? People talk about the incredible growing head of Bonds, but have you seen Gonzos dome lately??

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    My All-Juice Team by position:

1B: Jason Giambi
    2B: Bret Boone
    3B: Adrian Beltre (All-Time: Ken Caminit)
    SS: Phil Nevin
    LF: Barry Bonds
    CF: Steve Finley
    RF: Gary Sheffield
    C: Benito Santiago
    P: Kevin Brown, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson
    DH: Jeff Bagwell
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I believe Beltre has a prescription for his juice. His botched abdominal surgery in the Dominican led to a lengthy course of treatment to rebuild atrophying muscles. Kevin Brown likewise has had multiple injuries for which steroids are prescribed as part of a course of treatment.

I think it's also very unfair to call Randy Johnson juiced. He doesn't seem to have gotten larger over time - he has just developed more control (and it wasn't steroids that made him 6'10").

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I find it interesting that Roger Clemens has aways flown under the radar on these steroid discussions.

He's 41 (?) and pitching better than he ever did. He's huge, but he has always been a big guy. I just found the article in SI about his workout regime incredible. Don't steroids help in recovery from training?

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Purely PSA,
    You mentioned Pudge Rodriguez? I've never even heard a whisper about him.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    I think it's also very unfair to call Randy Johnson juiced.

I disagree... 42-year-old pitcher with a bad back and a bad knee but can throw 98 mph? He may not have the muscle mass of Bonds, but not all steroid regimens are the same... the rumor is that there are more pitchers juicing than hitters, yet not many pitchers look like Clemens or Brown, so the regimen has to be variable to a degree.

10 years ago, there was only one old man in the history of baseball that could fire a pea at 96 mph and he was considered a once-in-a-lifetime freak. Suddenly, we have a half-dozen ancient hurlers that are still at their statistical AND physical peak in the twilight years -- Clemens, Johnson, Schilling, Moyer, Smoltz, Maddux. I'm not saying all of these guys are juiced, but it would be naive to assume they were all clean too.
  • Options
    Just to clarify, now the top pitchers are using too?? Come on guys. First off, the ability to throw hard has nothing to do with how strong you are. It is a makeup between tendons and the way they are wrapped in your arm. Steroids will NOT help you throw 98 mph. Have you seen Billy Wagner? What about Nolan Ryan? These guys throw damn hard, but no way are they on the juice. Clemens goes through an exhausting regimen daily to stay in that shape. Yes he did bulk up over the years, but who hasn't? With his workouts, he's turned the weight he's gained into mass. If you'll notice too, he didn't really start this size until leaving Boston. The RedSox told him he was washed up and that pissed him off, enough to motivate him to prove them wrong. This is when the military-like training started. He has always been a great pitcher. Was he using at University of Texas too?? Best pitcher in the country, so he must have huh? I'm not saying steroids aren't being used in mlb, but not anyone over 150 pounds is automatically using.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    If you throw in Roger Clemens, you gotta throw in Randy Johnson.

I would also add Jessie Orasco for good measure....

muhahahahimage
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Just to clarify, now the top pitchers are using too?? Come on guys. First off, the ability to throw hard has nothing to do with how strong you are. It is a makeup between tendons and the way they are wrapped in your arm. Steroids will NOT help you throw 98 mph. Have you seen Billy Wagner? What about Nolan Ryan? These guys throw damn hard, but no way are they on the juice. Clemens goes through an exhausting regimen daily to stay in that shape. Yes he did bulk up over the years, but who hasn't? With his workouts, he's turned the weight he's gained into mass. If you'll notice too, he didn't really start this size until leaving Boston. The RedSox told him he was washed up and that pissed him off, enough to motivate him to prove them wrong. This is when the military-like training started. He has always been a great pitcher. Was he using at University of Texas too?? Best pitcher in the country, so he must have huh? I'm not saying steroids aren't being used in mlb, but not anyone over 150 pounds is automatically using.

You are naive. What do tendons do? They connect MUSCLE to bone. And since you can't "strengthen" a tendon or bone, if you want to gain strength (and possibly throw harder), you have to strengthen muscles and improve mechanics. Just ask Pedro Martinez. His rotator cuff is shot... torn. He needs surgery to correct it, but he has refused so far opting, instead, to strengthen the muscles in his shoulder and neck to relieve stress on the cuff tear. It's been working for him for 2 years now. So you can't say muscles don't play a major role in a pitcher's ability to throw hard repeatedly.

Plus, steroids don't necessarily make muscles bigger. Hank Aaron claims that setroids' biggest benefit is that they cut down recuperation time significantly and help stave off muscle fatigue. This is why it helps the old guys so much.

I was speaking with a friend who works with the Red Sox, SABR, and ESPN. According to him, baseball has more suspicions about pitchers than hitters. And within the Sox' organization, a couple stars are suspected juicers and they would NOT be the players to come to mind first. No, I don't know who they are.
  • Options
    With all these posts here it seems to Me that people want to hang Bonds out to dry when he is one of MANY alleged user's in MLB. I have defended Bonds in other threads so I wont bring that here.
    It's good to hear that people understand that a LOT of MLB players dabble with something or another.
  • Options
    I remember reading that Bond's hat size went up 2 1/2 sizes after age 35. Come on, everyone knows he's doing it.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    ...and he didn't always have a big head?

• Options

<< <i> I remember reading that Bond's hat size went up 2 1/2 sizes after age 35. Come on, everyone knows he's doing it. >>

Apparently he didn't know he was doing it...........right.....
    Clemens is on the juice for sure...............
    Stan Musial topped the .300 mark 17 times and won seven National League batting titles. A three-time MVP, he played in 24 All-Star Games. Probably, the greatest player who is overlooked and underappreciated.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    con,

nice pik of Art Linkletter with the santa hat........ image

BOTR
  • Options

<< <i>With all these posts here it seems to Me that people want to hang Bonds out to dry when he is one of MANY alleged user's in MLB. I have defended Bonds in other threads so I wont bring that here.
    It's good to hear that people understand that a LOT of MLB players dabble with something or another. >>

I think people realize that it is not just Bonds. In fact, its probably more than half the players out there including some of our favorites.

People like to bash on Bonds because he has never endeared himself to the media or to the fans.
  • Options
    Koby,
    I take your point well.
  • Options
    If people found out that both Barry Sanders and Mark Van Eeghen used steroids during their playing days, who do you think would get most of the attention?

Bonds' attitude certainly doesn't do him any favors, but the primary reason he's target numero uno is because he's closing in on baseball's most hallowed record - in large part because of the numbers he's put up in recent, steroid-enhanced seasons. His 73* under cloudy conditions doesn't help either.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Sam McDowell sucked down a lot of juice. Must include him.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Did someone mention Greg Maddux? Get real, out of uniform he looks like a high school math teacher. He is just a little chubbier than he was when he was younger, but by no means is he a muscle head. Besides he was at his peak in the mid 90's and never has been a power pitcher. Jamie Moyer is a similar pitcher in age as well as pitching style as Maddux (just not as good) and I doubt anyone is going to mention Moyer in the same sentence with steroids.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    You be the judge:

imageimage
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    CON - Randy Johnson is 6'10". That by itself qualifies him as a once-in-a-lifetime freak, Moyer throws junk with great control, and wins big by playing on a very good team (his ERA isn't that impressive).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    CON - Randy Johnson is 6'10". That by itself qualifies him as a once-in-a-lifetime freak, Moyer throws junk with great control, and wins big by playing on a very good team (his ERA isn't that impressive).

I don't think Moyer and Maddux are juice goons... I was pointing out that there is an unusually high number of elder statesmen pitchers acvtive right now still at their peak. I included Moyer because he won 20 games in 2003 at age 40 for the FIRST time. He is likely the exception (like Warren Spahn). But no way are all of these guys clean. It is statistically improbable. The last time we had a run of old guys still pitching was in the mid-80s (Ryan, Carlton, Sutton, Niekro, John, Seaver, Fingers). Of that crew, only Ryan was still in his physical and statistical prime at an advanced age. The rest were hanging on by a thread.

Maybe Johnson is a physical freak. Maybe he's a juice goon. It's worth thinking about. The only two "definites" on my list (in my mind) are Brown and Clemens. I have my doubts about Schilling too.

I also point to Johnson because it seems that Arizona *may* have had a clique of juicers... Steve Finley, Luis Gonzalez, Randy Johnson(?), Curt Schilling(?)... any others from that 2001 team stick out?
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Randy Johnson is definately not on the juice, imo. Also, did somebody mention Mark McGwire? You can't assume that people are using steroids just because they bulk up. Truth is, any of us can do that too. Think about it. They have almost all day to work out without 9 to 5 jobs, kids, soccer practice etc. like the rest of us do. They have unlimited money to buy the best personal trainers and the best legal supplements available. Plus they have a huge huge incentive to lift weights like a madman. They're jobs depend on it. For most of us, lifting weights and exercising doesn't play a large factor in our finances. Until somebody can prove that a specific player is on the juice, we shouldn't just assume it and diminish their accomplishments. I think a lot of you guys are just mad because your heroes records are being broken.
  • Options
    how can you build a juice team and not include Ted Kluszewski...cmon

maybe not...but that is one big dude!