Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

help with identity

I'm trying to identify and possibly appraise these old chinese coins...anyone have any ideas?

-Kicer

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly welcome to the forums. These are Chinese Cash coins I believe, other than that I have no idea.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    image Kicer.

I'm no expert, but the second one is definitely Chinese. The picture needs to be rotated 90 degrees - to the left I think. The third picture needs to be rotated 90 degrees to the right. I believe the ones on the ends might be Chinese or Japanese. A look at the other side would help greatly with the IDs.

There are a couple of real cash coin experts on the forum, so hang in there and you'll probably get all the information you can use.image
    Roy

• Options
    First of all thank you all for the good wishes granted on my luck with the forums. As far as I know my grandfather brought them back from WWII with great honor from the Japanese side. He also brought an officers sword. It was given to him by a Japanese officer who said 'You know I don't need this any more' so, I would like to find as much info on these simple coins ad possible. The sword is another matter. I wish to give all that I know the honor that it deserves; I WILL NOT sell these items in a petty 'net action. These are items of history and I seek people who can inform me from where they came. Good day and I only seek the truth.

-Kicer
  • Options

<< <i>These are items of history and I seek people who can inform me from where they came. Good day and I only seek the truth. >>

You'll make it much easier for someone to give you that information if you post a picture of the other sides. This type of coin has been cast in Asia for more than 1,000 years and there are hundreds of varieties, many of which look the same on one or the other side. You have posted obverses on the ends and a reverse in the middle.
    Roy

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the group!
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

All three are Qing dynasty Chinese. The left one is from the mid-19th century (1821-1851), the middle one needs to be turned over to be dated, and the right one is from the mid to late 18th century (1736-1796). They are common coins but cool all the same. They generally sell for 50 cents to a buck. It is possible they could be worth a few dollars, depending on the type. We need to see both sides of each coin to make a positive ID. Could you measure the diameter of the coins? That would also help in identifying the variety.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Kicer, where'd you go?