Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Cleaning

There was a post earlier that made me want to ask "Is there any acceptable way to clean coins". Are there not some methods people might use that would not mark the coin in any way, or leave any evidence of being cleaned. Also, I assume a grading service would know if a coin has been cleaned. Another question is if you are buying raw coins from Ebay or something, how can you tell if they have been cleaned?
I assume people have tried to use benzine based cleaners to make coins look polished, so I assume a trained eye (grading service) would know, and therefore not grade the coin?

Im just trying to find my way through the jungle.

Comments

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    A single light dip in acetone is generally 'acceptable', that's about the extent. Rubbing, polishing, scraping, etc the coin's surface in any way, shape, or form is not acceptable. You can spot cleaned coins by a variety of 'tells', perhaps someone can link you to an article describing them - the more experience you get, the easier they are to easily spot.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Acetone doesn't affect a coin's metal. So a long rinse in it or short doesn't matter. As far as learning to spot cleaning, it does take a while. The best way is to see a bunch of cleaned coins and compare them against uncleaned ones. Also, asking questions to dealers or collectors about given coins helps.

Benzine cleaning is something that gets noticed. The professionals can spot an amazing array of cleanings.
  • Options

Is cleaning coins with "Conserv (TM)" considered a cleaned coin? And can PCGS spot that when grading? I was told this is an acceptable method for removing dirt and grime and does not affect grading. Please advise this newby if my assumption is correct.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what "Conserv (TM)" is but if it's similar to "Ezest" or "MS 70". I admit, I too am occasionally guilty as well. Esp. when haze appears or even a dreadful fingerprint. However, be aware, the Ezest is diluted with water. I only allow the coin to soak 5-8 seconds! Then and most vital, wash thoroughly with hot water. Finishing by Softly pat drying both sides. With clean dry towel. So far, I never gone wrong by this method. One example;
    2020 W V75 Tallgrass Prairie quarter
    Had haze. Used Ezest. Results.
    PCGS MS 67!

Warning!

I highly recommend to NOT use anything on coins. Very Risky.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file