Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Garbage Pail Kids--The old and the new

This is good that we finally can discuss non-sports cards without getting ridiculed by the baseball card collectors.

Anyway, I was an 80's kid and I did collect a lot of GPK cards. However, I did not know any better about keeping some sealed packs or storing some cards mint. We traded these things in the school yard. I still kept my collection till this day. They are in decent condition considering where they have been. I have some MINT series 4 as I did not trade those in the school yard and kind of just kept them without handling them. I also have those oversized GPK cards. Anyone remember those? I also have an original empty box of one of the early series.

Its a small collection that I have, but at least its decent condition and has sentimental value to me. I like it.

I know there are new GPK out there. I saw a box at Toys R Us. They were $1 per pack for only a few cards per pack. Does anyone know where I can get a sealed box? I want to preserve one or two boxes just for the fun of it. Do I buy directly from Topps?
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    DG

You should be able to find some GPK boxes on eBay. Obviously, the first series boxes command a much higher price, but the later series' should be somewhat more affordable.

I have a few hundred mint cards stored away somewhere, series 3 and/or 4 I believe, plus I have a few sets of the 15 card giant GPKs. They were fun stuff back then. I'll have to come back to this thread and post some scans (when I have enough time to try to find the cards).

Edited to add: Oh, and BTW, I think only retailers can buy direct from Topps.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    went thru some things in the basement and found my gpk 1st series set. set is a mixture of a or b. at one time i had all 15 series with just about every variation. my store was featured on the cbs evening news in the fall of 86. seems the principle of a local elementary school banned them and the media was on him (then me) like bees to honey. made for some really great Free advertising image
    Good for you.
  • Options

wrappers from series 1
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DG
    Have you seen the original art for the cards that sell at the Toppsvault? They usually go for some really good coin!

I have seen some go over a grand.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the wondeful scans guys!

Mike, I was not aware of those original art pieces, but I am not a big enough collector to go for one. I enjoy knowing about them. Its all interesting to me.

I did go on ebay to look for boxes of GPK. They are on there, and I am going to buy them. I also checked out the TOPPS website on GPK. TOPPS will sell direct to anyone, but they charge retail for regular people like me. The new series 2 and 3 boxes can be purchased for $36 each, the same as retail. On ebay, those same boxes go for a lot less.

I have also discovered GPK retail boxes. It is a sealed box with 10 packs inside for sale $9.99.

WinPitcher,

I was an elementary school kid during the 80's, and I know how out of hand these GPK's got. It does not surprise me that one principle wanted them banned.

The publicity your store got was actually positive for you? What an irony of events. However, not all publicity is good publicity. Being known to sell GPK was not displayed in a positive light by the media for you, but it was not evil either, so I can understand how that publicity made people aware of a store that sells silly things. Made a lot of people curious to show up and see what you had.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DG
    I picked up this original pen and ink artwork for the GP cards last nite on ebay.

I'm a big collector of any pen and ink original one of kind artwork from Topps - it's definitely poor man's art IMO!

Good luck on your hunt
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

Fran was later changed to Fran Fran after an outcry from pissed off parents.

The publicity your store got was actually positive for you?

Yep
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Picked up another GP Kid pen and ink
    I just absolutely like these things!

Someday, I hope I can afford a real piece of art.
    thanx for viewing
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someday, I hope I can afford a real piece of art. >>

You mean, like this:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    I'll have some please....
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Someday, I hope I can afford a real piece of art. >>

You mean, like this:

image >>

Mike
  • Options
    GPK cards, cool!!

I have very fond memories of collecting GPK series 3 through series (10-15?) through my elementary school years.

Unfortunately, I traded away my entire collection in the 6th grade.

Does anyone have any favorites of series 3? Those were the holy grail for me.

I'll be checking Ebay out and work towards rebuilding my childhood collection. And maybe get a box or two to save.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I just submitted some series 3 for grading. I've graded a bunch of series 1 and 2 in the past so I figured I would give series 3 a shot. Here's a series 1 and series 2 I recently sold on Ebay:

• Options
    got anymore for sale?
  • Options

<< <i>Someday, I hope I can afford a real piece of art >>

Mark
    I may not have the art yet but I am married to "some piece of work"!

Mike