Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Darkside Shopping

I'm havin' a heck of a time finding good online places for Darkside coins...other than eBay. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try NEN for certified and some raw coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Civitas, who happens to hang out here, has one such site. In fact, I believe several of the Forum members indulge in the entrepreneur spirit.
    If you can get ahold of World Coin News, you will find several dealers online.
    If you don't mind the premium, I always liked Harlan Berk. Unfortunately, the gentleman who handled their darkside passed away, earlier this year, I believe.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few darkside dealer links:

V Coins a portal to many dealers

CNG good for ancients

Jean Elsen an auction house in Belgium

Karl Stephens and excellent dealer

Teller Bring lots of money

J Pater He knows how to grade

Ponterio Another auciton house in So Cal

NEN Nice, but very expensive

Civitas/Josh A good guy that post here.

I've had good deals with Elsen, Civitas, Karl Stephens, NEN and Pat.
    Happy browsing!

-JamminJ
  • Options
    I'm new to Darksides, but so far I've had good experiences with Harlan J Berk and Ron Guth.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Have you decided on a specific area of Darkside to collect, or are you still shopping around. Some dealers are better than others in certain areas. We tend to have a mish-mash of everything on hand with no real specialty per se. We've also got a lot that's not online so if you have an interest in a certain area, it doesn't hurt to ask.

P.S. Thanks for the good words Harasha and JamminJ.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    For the right price ,I am sure you could purchase every coin that is posted here from anybodyimage Welcome to the Darkside.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Please allow me to throw in a few good words for Civitas too!!! He's honest, knowledgeable, and real pleasure to deal with.

Danglen and Silvereaglecoins are also good, although I've not dealt with them yet. I think they tend to specialize in new issues.

Let's see, as to the entrepreneurs around here. Wybrit always is honest and very fair with grading, plus he has a no questions asked return policy. He sells spares from his area of expertise--British coins from Vicky's time onwards.

If you can finagle a few morsels from the Dark Mouse (MacCrimmon), consider yourself lucky; his coins must be at least MS-63 or he won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Python, every once in a while, unloads some culls from his museum-quality collection, and you'd do well to wait for them to appear because he's got killer coins at very fair prices. He tends to specialize in hammered and later British coins, but also sometimes has other countries and time periods available.

No list would be complete without mentioning Ajaan. He's a very pleasant gentleman to deal with, his coins are very high quality, and his prices very fair. He sometimes gets bored with a collecting direction, and unloads his collection. I can kick myself for not taking advantage of that when he sold off tons of uncirculated British copper for a song, about 2-21/2 years ago. Also sometimes he has killer bulk lots for sale.

Now for Bingo's rival, the veritable and venerable Bag-o-Bones, our resident Dead King. He's a used coin dealer, so be careful...image Actually, he's very fair too. Check his website or PM him.

I can't seem to remember any more people off the top of my head. Check with these dudes and you won't go wrong.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of you guys rock with your endless information that I am soaking up like a sponge...I can't say thank you enough!

<< <i>Have you decided on a specific area of Darkside to collect, >>

Well, what I am going to go with is a type set of sorts in gold. 1 each of my favorite gold from each euro country, ie.. a swiss 10 franc, french 10 franc, english 1/2 sovereign and so on. Haven't decided if I'm going with the smaller or larger denominations yet either. Seems the 20 francs and full sovs. are more plentifull in the marketplace...but more expensive at the same time. I figure I could put together a nice Euro type set of a dozen or so different countries. If I do this I think I'll go for mostly early 20th century material.
  • Options
    I added Civitas to my dealers list, great site and a pleasure to deal with.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave