Home Q & A Forum
Options

a dual graded coin

lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
David, I just purchased an attractive 1889-cc Morgan in au58. It is currently in an NGC holder, with a pl designation. I would prefer to have the coin graded by PCGS, but I hate to lose the pl designation.

One option was for PCGS to consider awarding a PL designation to a qualified au morgan. Has there been any progress on that idea?

OR...

Could PCGS take the NGC label and incprporate it into its slab, maybe on the reverse at the top where the PCGS logo is now. Maybe the hologram could somehow be incorporated onto the front design.

That idea could be full of pitfalls, as I'm not sure about copyrights, etc., but it would seem to end the debate on the street about what the other grader would think of the coin. For some, if a coin was graded 66pl by both PCGS and NGC, it might mean a little more.

For me, I am quite content under the current grading standards with just the PCGS grade, but that doesn't help me in the case of a 58pl. I can't really afford to buy another, so my goal has to be to somehow get this coin into my registry set without forfeiting my pl designation. I know I could just keep the label, but if I were to ever sell the coin, it may hurt its resale value. If the reverse of the slab showed the NGC label and 58pl designation, I'd have no cause for worry.

What do you think? Thanks

I brake for ear bars.

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

There doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for PL dollars to be designated in less than MS60 grades, so we don't do it.

Thanks,

David