Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1952 Topps Baseball – New Labeling Approach

By popular demand…

PSA is happy to announce that beginning January 1st, 2005 through March 2005, we will be offering a $3 re-holder special for collectors and dealers who would like to have their 1952 Topps baseball cards labeled with the Black Back variation designated by PSA.

Keep in mind that this only applies to cards 1-80.

In addition, any card submitted on January 1, 2005 or later will be labeled under the new guidelines.

There was a brief period of time when PSA labeled the Black Back variations but trouble ensued. Some sellers were taking advantage of the situation by claiming that their cards were a “Pop 1” despite the fact that we were grading cards without the distinguishing labels for several years.

Please keep in mind that it may take some time for the PSA Population Report to reflect more accurate numbers since there are, of course, many cards already graded by PSA without the Black Back designations in the marketplace.

Furthermore, Red Backs will continue to be labeled without any designation. For the purposes of The PSA Set Registry, here is how it will work. For the Basic Set, without variations, either Red or Black Backs will suffice to complete the set. For the Master Set, the Black Back slots must be filled with cards that have received the Black Back designation. It is the only way the program can recognize those cards. All non-Black Back labeled cards, for the purposes of The Registry only, will be assumed to be Red Backs.

With the success of The PSA Set Registry and continued demand by collectors, we felt it was time to institute a permanent change as the 1952 Topps set is clearly one of the most important sets in our hobby and it deserves the attention to detail on these variations.

Thanks so much for your continued support!

Joe Orlando
PSA President

Comments

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Sounds great!

Any plans to add the type of back on T206 cards (i.e. Piedmont, Uzit, Sweet Caporal, etc)?
  • Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I'd also like to see a similar program for '62 Topps Green Tints.
  • Options

<< <i>...For the purposes of The PSA Set Registry, here is how it will work. For the Basic Set, without variations, either Red or Black Backs will suffice to complete the set. For the Master Set, the Black Back slots must be filled with cards that have received the Black Back designation. It is the only way the program can recognize those cards. All non-Black Back labeled cards, for the purposes of The Registry only, will be assumed to be Red Backs... >>

WOW! Does PSA need money so badly that they decided to tap the wealth involved in the '52 Topps set? Now, in order to be competitive in the '52 Master set, you need to re-submit your cards at $3 a pop, just to be recognized!?!?!?! I'm sure it will work to PSA's benefit, but that's just plain customer-unfriendly!!! image

I'm sure the same will happen with the T206 set. It's a shame that the cards couldn't be designated correctly from the get-go! The collectors end up paying for PSA's oversight. Oh well, maybe that was the master plan. image

JEB.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    jeff,

dammed if they do , dammed if they dont
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>jeff,

dammed if they do , dammed if they dont >>

I assume you are referring to me? image

If so, you make a good point! I'm sure many collectors are ecstatic. I just think it's unfortunate that it's announced on the message boards (admittedly only viewed by about 1% of PSA's customer base - probably less than that for the '52 Topps set). These collectors could have been notified privately, and would probably fork over the cash instantly. Seriously, how many collectors who read these threads would be even remotely interested in this service?

J E B.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I have one card I'll submit for the reholder. It's a Robin Roberts PSA 4.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Jeb ( sorry about the name change)

when PSA first started, they probably didnt think they would grade so many cards , or that there would be a registry.

i really think this change was made for the collector. how much money can it really generate?

I hope they would actually do this labeling for the t-206 where it would made much more sense and there is probably as much demand for it.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I too would like to see them do this for T-206 cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.