Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identification help please!

I have three coins, all of which have somewhere on the coin the globe displayed on the first enamelled brooch. I would like to know where they are from, I think they're Brazilian (at the time of Portuguese rule) but I'm not sure. Also, the two non-enamelled coins have overstruck denominations on them, the first being a 40 overstruck onto another denomination which is unclear, the second being a 20 overstruck over yet another unknown denomination. The enamelled brooch reverse is dated 1814 and the centre of the coin is taken up by a shield topped with a crown. To the left of the shield are the numbers 960 and to the right are three flowers.

Any help is appreciated! Oh, and sorry about the scan quality!

Enamelled brooch:

Larger copper coin:

Smaller copper coin:

Comments

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    You are right these pieces are from Brazil. The enamelled brooch is a 1814 960 Reis with the obverse legend JOHANNES. D.G. PORT.P. REGENS.

The copper coins look like national countermarks. These were countermarked to prevent chaos from local and private counter marked coinage.
    The first copper looks like a 40 Reis counter stamp on 80 Reis of Pedro II and the second copper looks like a 20 Reis counter stamp on a 40 Reis again of Pedro II. It's the best I can do...image
  • Options
    Hey, that's great! Thanks a lot
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards, it is great to see somebody else from this side if the pond.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!

Countermarks are really interesting!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Beautifully done brooch!!! I too like those old counterstamped Brazilian coins.

Welcome to the Darkside, Emperor!

imageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22