Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Which new area should I collect?

I'm really in trouble here...

Some time next year I will finish my type collection of Isle of Man and Gibraltar coins and then I want to collect something different, something older! I am considering what to collect now because I need to find the litterature on the area before buying too many coins.

I have cut it down to two possiblities:

1) Coins of the Netherlands - from the 1800s and back. It's too big an area to become a type collection, but it should be possible to find a lot of different coins from the dutch provinces all the way down to medieval times. I really like coins of the Netherlands, especially the old ones - many of them have quite neat designs.

2) European medieval coins (~900 - 1500) - another area that is too large for a type collection. However, there are many interesting and historical coins out there that tell the story of the middle ages in Europe. Many of them seem to be available at reasonable prices too.

The problem here is that I would actually prefer to collect both areas but I cannot afford it image So which one should I pick? I know that some of the members here collect hammered coins - what challenges have you met doing that?

All kinds of input is appreciated!

Marcel
Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I vote for area #2 (much more interesting)

There are some good literature sites on the net:

English Hammered Coins
    Jim's Medieval
    French and English Royal Medieval

And many more. I have cut/paste some of these websites (and pictures) into Mocrosoft Word to read them off line.

An eBay search of 'Hammered' in the ancient section usually finds something interesting and affordable.

-JZ
  • Options
    Thanks for the links! I will save them... there is a 50% chance that I'll need them later on image

Marcel
  • Options
    I vote for #2 also. You can get a feeling for a broader range of history.

Steve
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with JZ and Steve ... #2 offers a broader historical perspective, and the coins are just neat, IMHO. But, you are the collector, MadMuffin ... what "feels" like more fun to you?

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    You could go for other British Isles or other Colonies like Guerensey...... among many others....image
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I think you should definitely start collecting whatever the most expensive things on our website are.... Yeah, that's it!

Seriously though, both areas have their merits. I think The Netherlands idea is a more achieveable goal, but the European medieval coins is going to be a lot easier on the budget at first, and has opportunity for a VERY wide variety of coin types.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I havd to vote for the medieval coins as well, there is some great stuff to collect and right now Python is getting it all!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buy what you like and consider not limiting yourself to a country or a specific set. Afew coins from the Netherlands, France, German States among others that may be of interest.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about George III coins?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my more passive collecting projects is Dutch crowns, from about 1600 onwards. Problem is that the older ones are somewhat expensive, and not always that lovely to look at.

I am contemplating putting together a collection of Papal portraits and/or medals with British/British Commonwealth Coats of Arms. Someone, I forget who, posted this really neat medal from South Africa, I think. Grabbed my attention!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Thanks for all the opinions! It looks like most of you agree that I should collect medieval coins. Civitas, you mention that medieval coins may be easier on the economy and you are probably right. I have been browsing the medieval coins listings on Ebay lately and it looks like a surprising number of coins could be bought for something in the range of $15 to $50. That was kind of surprising to me. But then I live in a country where medieval coins are scarce and expensive.

Harasha, you also have a point that some Dutch coins from the 1500s to the 1700s are somewhat messy-looking. Nice examples can be seriously expensive if they can even be found. Coins from the Spanish Netherlands are in general badly struck while those of the Austrian Netherlands are beautifully made. The free provinces also made some neat coins with a few exeptions in the 1500s and 1600s.

Coincat - I already collect coins from all over the world image I just like to have some focusing points. A world coin collection grows and grows but it never really gets anywhere. At the moment I am type collecting Australia, Nepal, Isle of Man, Gibraltar and rare Franklin Mint coins struck for the Caribbean.

Well... maybe I should start looking for some medieval coin books image

Marcel