Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: K-259 Clemenceau's Farewell

K-259 CLEMENCEAU’S FAREWELL (Clemenceaus Abschied), 1920, Cast AE, 59mm, Choice UNC.

Satirical expression of Goetz towards the President’s election in France in 1920. Though Clemenceau regarded the Versailles Treaty as too lenient, he was defeated in the election in 1919 because of his “lenient” attitude towards defeated Germany. He had earlier refused this largely ceremonial post, stating “there are in France two useless organs: the prostate and the Presidency of the Republic!”

Inscription on the obverse “Clemenceau Farewell.” In the exergue “To the father of victory.” 17 January 1920. Goetz delighted in showing the French cock crapping on Clemenceau’s carpetbag.

Reverse inscription. “one the President’s election in France.” Legend “They are going to carry me to the Elysium” (the residence of the President of the French Republic) after words spoken by Clemenceau before the election. Again, Goetz delighted in showing the protesting Clemenceau carried toward Elysée as candidate for President, failing to be elected.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    What's the reference to Egypt on the carpetbag?

I like the jester smoking!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    " What's the reference to Egypt on the carpetbag?" I'm not sure but something sarcastic image I'm having trouble trying to get the history down as so much was happening all at the same time. I'm sure Mark will enlighten us...
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Or endarken us is more like it!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Speaking of buying in bulk image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I believe Clemenceau toured Egypt after his "retirement." I've seen a picture of him in Egypt. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    It does look like the old tourist stickers they used to slap on bags, trunks, and suitcases....

" Speaking of buying in bulk" yeah, I had let my imaging take a backseat for a while and I got behind...it does tend to happen when I pick up 10 or more at a time...

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Another great medal!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com