Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Darkside gold source

Before I retired from my coin shop, I would have given anything to have a collector of foreign gold coins.

They come in from the public but many are just wholesaled at near spot or sometimes slightly below.

You won't find a Noble or 8 Escudo, but there are many oddball foreign gold coins in coin shops just waiting to be had.

Comments

• Options
    Oh i dunno, i know two shops that i've seen Nobles in. Admittedly i'm in the right country for such things but even then they aren't a regular occurence.

Both of them had Edward III ones.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh i dunno, i know two shops that i've seen Nobles in. Admittedly i'm in the right country for such things but even then they aren't a regular occurence.

Both of them had Edward III ones. >>

We had a Charles I gold Crown walk in several years ago, but that is rare here in the US. Sovereigns, French 20 Francs and Swiss 20 Francs are the most common walk-ins.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that Charles I gold crown. That was when I was the one working for Bill Wright's shop, instead of you, O Dead King. I seem to recall callin' you about that one, all excited, since we were both into hammered Brit stuff then, and neither one of us had ever had any British hammered gold at the time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I bought a James I gold Crown to console myself over that one getting away!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I bought a 1500's French Ecu d'Or of Francois I to satiate my lust for hammered gold.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I bought myself a quarter laurel to make up for the fact i couldn't afford the Chas I unite, then again it had been holed and plugged so that was a turn off.