Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Photo 1885-CC DMPL Morgan: New Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Digital Camera -- 12x Leica Optical Zo

2»

Comments

• wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Nice shot there Stuart, I've been waiting to see how you would do with your new camera. I'm even more amazed at how large the image is and still being under 50k. Thanks for sharing. image
    Wayne
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne: Thanks! Wait until you see the post-processed image. It blows away this first raw image... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    Here's a comparison of 3 versions of the same obverse & reverse images of my 1885-CC ANACS MS-64 DMPL Morgan Dollar which were taken today with my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 camera.

1) Original Raw Image with No Post-Processing

imageimage

2) Contrast-Adjusted Image

imageimage

3) Contrast-Adjusted & Sharpened Image

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

I think that I like these 2 iamges the best, because they are most realistic as to what the original coin looks like:

imageimage

Stuart

• ERER Posts: 7,345
    Red X
    ER: If everyone else but me gets "Red X's" for these images, then I'll have to either find some other forum member to web host them, or I'll have to find my own web hosting solution from either my Yahoo! e-mail provider or my SBC broadband provider.

Here are a couple of images which I've had to reduce to 85% of original size to fit into the forum 50 KByte file size limitation. They are not quite as sharp as the originals, but you'll get the idea... image

imageimage

Stuart

• Im getting red x's aswell.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Red X's here too. The others are very nice.

• Hello:

I just bought the new Walmart EZ as 123 for $9.95. It's a throwaway. You throw it away once you buy it. Glad to see everybody getting nice Christmas gifts except me.

eddye
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuart,

Those are incredible pictures for someone using his camera for first time - is it as simple as just taking a picture??? I sweat when I think of taking pictures with my gizmo - by the time I'm done comparing and weeding out all the garbage I have no patience or time left to even crop 'n postimage

marc
  • Nice pics, image

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
    Marc: Thanks for your kind words in the previous post!

Today I was able to rapid fire shoot photos of about 20 coins (taking about 30 seconds to 1 minute per coin) once I set up my tripod and worktable by the window with some ambient reflected sunlight, by using the camera's automatic exposure, focus and macro settings.

I got many excellent photos considering that this was my first coin photo shoot with this new camera. There are still many advanced features for me to learn about this camera which will allow me room for growth and also room for improvement on future photos.

==================================================================================================

From another thread that I posted today, also including the 1881-CCPCGS MS-64 PL Morgan Photos... 1881-CC & 1885-CC Photo Thread

Here are photos of 2 Morgan Dollars with my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Digital Camera, as promised.

1881-CC PCGS MS-64 PL Morgan Dollar

imageimage

1885-CC ANACS MS-64 DMPL Morgan Dollar

imageimage

Stuart

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    nice pics.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Well based on this thread. I bought a Panasonic too. I'll let you know how it goes... -Kurt-image
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
    Kurt: Please let us know how you liek your new canera once you've had a chance to use it a bit and get familiar with it.

Did you purchase the FZ20 or another Lumix model??

Stuart

• << <i>Kurt: Please let us know how you liek your new canera once you've had a chance to use it a bit and get familiar with it. Did you purchase the FZ20 or another Lumix model?? >>

Well, I've spent some time with it... I got the FZ20, 1 gig SD card, extra battery... I'm still not happy with my lighting. I have one of those copy stands seen here on other threads. But all of my coins still end up looking dirty when they are actually nice white coins that I'm shooting. I have bought some GE "Reveal" bulbs that I've seen mentioned here. I'm also going to try sunlight. I'll let you know how it goes. When I get something good I'll try and figure out how to post...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
    Kurt: Thanks for the update. Practice will pay off in better photos. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos when you are pleased with them.

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file