Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Extreme Platinum Fin Proof

I wonder if anyone else has come across, any Platinum Proof finned coins, that are surfacing
I ended up receiving a 2001-W $10.00 Proof Platinum, from the Mint, that was way out of specifications that the Mint, missed somehow, and I was very surprised at Quality Control, not noticing, it?
Some may have seen the article in Coin World, with this coin, that I sent in to them. I was informed that finning to a certain degree on certain series are part of the process, but the thickness runs from 0.95mm. to 1.60mm. for this 1/10th of an oz. And averages about 1.25mm on the reeded edge. This is the second Proof Platinum, I have received, that was damaged, at the mint, and passed Quality control. The first was a 2002-W $50 Proof, that had 2 portions of the reeded edge, opposite each other, that were indented with a curved area of the edges, raising metal as a result of excess pressure, when struck, possibly being tilted at the time. It was attributed as a mint error, "Wire Rim Reverse at 1:30" PR69DC by PCGS. Has anyone had any similar situation?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file